Console Problem

Dave's89XR7

I just removed an aftermarket alarm system from my newly purchased '90 XR7 SC. Now I have a small hole in the top of the console where the armed light used to be. Luckily I have a good one on my parts car. I opened the lid and removed the three screws from the rear of the console but I have no idea what is holding the front or how to get it loose. I think it's the same procedure as a Tbird. Can anyone give me idiot-proof instructions?

The console just pulls back. There are slots in the front so pull it back then lift the back over top of the gear shift and the parking brake handle.

sean

I removed the 3 screws from the rear of the top portion. I've lifted the back and pulled on it so hard I can't believe it didn't break. Something is still holding the front and I can't figure out what it is. I've pulled it back so one side at a time will clear but something is keeping it from coming straight back. Any ideas?

Just for kicks and it's been a while I just went out and looked at my '93. Should be just as SDW described. I took out the rear three screws, lifted the console top slightly in the rear and was able to slide out the front. I had it off in about a minute. Might help a bit to have the e-brake pulled up slightly. Could be a previous owner spilled pop or something on the console and it is "glued" in place.

Back