low speed fan???

BrentSC

i have a 192 degree thermostat in my 90' sc and it seems that the car heats right up, a little ways past the M on the NORM , sometimes 3/4 of the way to the H on the temperature guage. then the fan finally kicks in and cools it right down. mabye my low speed fan isint working im not sure what the case is but i would apprishiate any responses, thanks

brent

you can test the low speed fan by disconnecting the colant temp sensor, when you unplug it if the low speed fan kicks on then you know that it is fine, just one bit of advice, since I have been dealing with problems for months now, get an aftermarket temp gauge, I could have swore mine was fine, but it turned out that the gauge was wrong the hole time

i took the wire off the top of the coolent temp sender , and there was no fan turning on, i put my hand infront of the fan there was nothing so any idea what i should look for now? maybe a blown fuse?

If that was the sensor on the tstat housing, wrong sensor. Does your a/c work, cause if so, turn it on and if the fan comes on you know your low speed is working.

If not, then the ECT sensor referenced above is located on the pax front of the engine where the coolant line comes out to go to the heater core.

On my '94 SC the puller fan (engine side of radiator) has two speeds. It's connector has three wires coming into it form the harness.

With the engine off and the fan disconnected from the harness, check the connections in the harness for continuity to ground. As I recall, there should only be one that is grounded.

Note: Be careful unplugging the fan from the wiring harness, as the tab that locks the harness onto the fan plug is easily broken if you pry up on it too hard. It may break anyway, if so you can use a tie wrap to hold the connectors together when finished.

Once you determine this, run a jumper wire from the corresponding spade in the puller fan connector to ground. Then connect a jumper to a 12V source and then to the other two contacts in the fan harness plug one at a time.

The low speed fan should kick on with voltage supplied to one of the contacts and the high speed fan should engage with voltage supplied to the other contact.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ted

low speed fan

i had the same problem -the low speed fan would not come on - only the hi speed fan would work. I got another fan put in - cause the low speed fan was toast - now the fan works at both low and high speeds.

i took the wire off the top of the coolent temp sender , and there was no fan turning on, i put my hand infront of the fan there was nothing so any idea what i should look for now? maybe a blown fuse?
wrong sender. You want the ECT sensor which is next to the oil filler tube. It has a hose and a couple of wires coming out of it.

Back