Changing Water Pump - Questions...

jpetillo

I'm changing my water pump. I have a stock '89 SC. I did a quick search and found some good threads, and one even had the whole procedure from one of the manuals. That helped quite a bit.

I have a question about the power steering pump pulley. I got the intercooler off and now have access to the pump. I tried taking the allen head bolt (grub screw) off the pulley, but it's really on there. I figured before I do something unnecessary, that I'd ask the forum.

How does it come off, do I have to get the allen nut out and then get a puller?

I might be able to get my 1/2" impact wrench in there. I left the pulleys and belt on to make it easier to get the nut off.

Thanks, John

That's not an allen bolt. It's a hex-shaped hole at the end of the PS pump shaft.
When using the pulley puller, make sure that the tool slides freely all the way into the hole.

Okay, thanks.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page, then the pulley is just press fit on without anything retaining it?

Thanks again, John

I've had my engine out and rebuilt it, only to have to replace the PS pump soon after that.
I have never pulled the pulley off on the car, it's fairly easy to take the PS\Alt bracket off without doing so.
I use a 8-12" extension with a wiggle and a short 15mm socket.
You can get to the bolt behind the pulley, along with the nut and other two bolts pretty easily.
I've found it easier than trying to remove the pulley while in the car.

If you step out of the car, it's not too bad. ;) ;)

Anyways, if you buy a puller, your stress level will drop and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. ;)

Again, thanks for the suggestions. About pullers, can anyone recommend one? They can be expensive, so I want to make sure I get the right thing. I want something that I can go and pick up.

I've never used this type of puller - just the harmonic balancer and 2/3 jaw types.

I couldn't find anything at Autozone on their web site besides the 2/3 jaw type.

Are the pulley specific ones the one I should get? All thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

NAPA:
====
This one is cheaper, but doesn't say Ford
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...iption=Power+Steering+Pump+Pulley+Service+Kit

These two say Ford and screw installer for Ford
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...897&Description=Pulley+Puller+&+Installer+Set
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...342&Description=Pulley+Puller+&+Installer+Set

Sears:
====
These say nothing specifically about a Ford application
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I bought a cheap kit from Harbor Freight, and have used it sevaral times with no problems. I think they're usually around $20.00, but sometimes go on sale for $10.00. Not a professional grade tool, but has been more than adequate for home use. I ususally soak down the tip of the shaft with PB Blaster for awhile before starting.

JD

PB Blaster---good tip!

I have the Harbor freight puller also.

Before I got my own, I would get the autozone "rent-a-tool"
puller.

They both worked, the auto zone one was a little more "professional", but the harbor freight will also do the job (once you figure out all the gizzmo's that come in the tool kit)

Welcome to the power steering pulley pulling club " PSPPC ":)

Thanks guys! I just bought a new Harbor Freight set from a guy 20 miles away for $10!

Thanks for welcoming me to the power steering pulley pulling club " PSPPC ". I hope to live up to the club's high expectations.

I've had my engine out and rebuilt it, only to have to replace the PS pump soon after that.
I have never pulled the pulley off on the car, it's fairly easy to take the PS\Alt bracket off without doing so.
I use a 8-12" extension with a wiggle and a short 15mm socket.
You can get to the bolt behind the pulley, along with the nut and other two bolts pretty easily.

Yes. When changing the water pump, you do not have to take the pulley off. I have replaced the water pump about five times over the years, (just did it again 2 weeks ago). Loosen the PS/Alt bracket and the whole thing will slide forward as a unit giving you enough room to clear those two bolts on the water pump.
You do not even need to disconnect the alternator.

Thanks guys! I just bought a new Harbor Freight set from a guy 20 miles away for $10!

Thanks for welcoming me to the power steering pulley pulling club " PSPPC ". I hope to live up to the club's high expectations.
Awww.. they dropped the "P" again.. its the Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller Club or the PSPPPC. To gain official membership, you not only have to own a power steering pump pulley puller, but you have to have walked up to the counter at a parts store and asked for one. :D :D

Last edited:
I have replaced the water pump about five times over the years, (just did it again 2 weeks ago).
Hopefully thats on more than 1 car. :rolleyes: I've done it 2 times, with the puller of course, on my daily driver and had it done once. I always used a new pump. It would seem they live for 60,000-70,000 miles.

Hopefully thats on more than 1 car. :rolleyes: I've done it 2 times, with the puller of course, on my daily driver and had it done once. I always used a new pump. It would seem they live for 60,000-70,000 miles.

Yes. I put 3 or 4 on my first 1989 SC..sold it with 265,000 miles on it.
This is the 2nd one for my current 1990 SC:)

I hope that you got the kit with the Installer too. You will need it.

The Harbor Freight kit can be configured to both remove and install the pulley. It's basically a knock-off of the "quality" kit that you can rent/borrow from the parts stores. But, for only $10, it's good to have your own kit since it works for a variety of makes and models.

JD

Just to let folks know, my eBay / Harbor Freight $10 power steering pump pulley puller took the pulley off like nothing. I first tried finding what bolt(s) needed to be loosened/removed to slide the pump assembly forward to get the water pump off, but what I loosened didn't seem to let anything move.

I'm sending in my dues to the Power Steering Pump Pulley Puller Club - PSPPPC. Great tool!

Thanks for the ideas, suggestions, and opinions.

Back