Cobra rear calipers VS SC rear calipers

MN12 calipers have a larger piston, and more pad surface area. Plus, you don't have to mess around with the parking brake attachment. That's why most people stay with the factory rear calipers when putting the larger rotors on, rather than swapping them out as well.

cheers
Ed N.

1995 V8 LX calipers VS SC Calipers

are the LX V8 calipers the same as the SC calipers, and are the 1989-1993 SC calipers the same as 1994-1995 SC calipers.

LX and SC use the same rear brakes. 89 - 92 rear brakes are different than 93 - up. Same rotor diameter, but the older ones are thicker. So the calipers and caliper anchors are different, and the pads are a bit different shape to suit as well.

cheers
Ed N.

LX and SC use the same rear brakes. 89 - 92 rear brakes are different than 93 - up. Same rotor diameter, but the older ones are thicker. So the calipers and caliper anchors are different, and the pads are a bit different shape to suit as well.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed, does the thicker earlier rotor means that when I finally upgrade to a cobra rotor, I will have to worry about the caliper piston actually coming out of the caliper if the pads get too thin?

cheers
Ed N.

My 1995 LX has rear drum brakes .

I have cobra brakes on the rear of my 1990 SC.
calipers and disc rotor. No problems yet.

But Ed, arent the the rear cobra brakes piston
able to come out of bore, when a little over
half worn out, when using the SC stock rotor?

You can use universal motorcycle clutch cables
for Harley davidsons to build longer parking-brake cables.

Randy

Ed, does the thicker earlier rotor means that when I finally upgrade to a cobra rotor, I will have to worry about the caliper piston actually coming out of the caliper if the pads get too thin?

I think Ed talked about this being possible before if you wear you're brake pads way down on the early model rear calipers.But it not being so much of a problem with the late models.Plus with our front to rear bias it should take a good long time to wear the rear pads down enough top worry about it.At least if I'm thinking correctly.

Jay

You guys are correct. On the early rear brakes, if the pads wore right down to almost nil material remaining, it might be possible for the piston to come out too far. That's why I recommend either keeping a close eye on rear pad wear when a Cobra rotor conversion is done on an early car, or alternately, a set of shims could be made up to go behind the pad backing plates, to take up the difference.

cheers
Ed N.

Back