460 engine swap

wauseonbird

ok...I wanna drop a 460 into my 96 Thunderbird LX. I am tryin to make it a 9 sec. car. the questions I have are 1. motor mounts. ware do I get them or do I have to fab them up myself? 2. will it drop right in or will I have to fab that up too? and 3. what trannie should I go with? I would like any and all help I can get. thanks!

Search "Big Block" and you should find several post by Pro Street Rich on the topic...he has done it several times and said it's really easy.

David

I would start with buying 514CID or larger motor & trans you want to use.

Then have AJE tubed K-member built to fit your setup. I forgot
what AJE ENG. web address is. It is listed on the SCCoA if you
do a search. If you cannot find it, I will try to find it for ya.

Randy

I'm with Dave just pm pro street rich and he should be able to give you the entire low down on how to get a bigblock bolted up.And what problems you may have.

Jay

C6 3-speed trans with manual transbrake valvebody, 3500 or higher rpm non locking convertor, and 4.30 rear gears!

I was watching Muscle Car last night. They did a dyno on a 427 at FACTORY cspecs. It pushed over 600ft lbs at over 500Hp. I would use that and a power glide since it uses soo much less to turn than the c-4/6.

Chris

I was watching Muscle Car last night. They did a dyno on a 427 at FACTORY cspecs. It pushed over 600ft lbs at over 500Hp. I would use that and a power glide since it uses soo much less to turn than the c-4/6.

Chris

I agree with Chris, if you want to use a auto trans.
a power glide would be good to use, It would also
save a lot of weight.maybe the cheapest route to take.

I would not rule out the use of a 4/5 speed gearbox
with a slipperhead clutch.This would be my trans choise.

I am sure you can buy motor mount some where. But if this
is a drag race only car. I would fab soild motormounts
or fab motor plates, I would use motorplates,they will
help stiffen the chassis also.

I would not attempt to build a car unless you have the
min amount of tools, Like welder,torch,grinder,mill,
lathe,etc ,shop building.

Here is the web address for a K-Member www.ajeracing.com

Randy

Last edited:
If it were going to be a drag car mainly, I would not want to use mounts at all. I would go with the plate for a few reasons. One, because of the strong strong:rolleyes: body/frame of the mn12. The extra weight AND the added torque of the engine will twist the front up as it is, Might as well mount it solid and add to the strength of the front.

Chris

Go to the for sale forums. There is one there for sale NOW that has the 460 with it. It is pretty cheap too. 3gr if I remember correctly.

Chris

Back