Engine Died On Highway!!! Help

Ed's95SC

Ok driving down the highway and when I pushed down on the accelerator it was pulling almost lik resisting going faster!! I was doing 80 speeding up to 85 when I first noticed, then slowed down and still when I pushed the accelerator it was like the engine was pulling. Then the temp gauge rose halfway betweem the M AND THE RED:mad: , then the oil PSI dropped and the engine shut off. Any help is needed and appreciated. Thanks guys.

Ed,
Hopefully this isn't your case but I had a 93 blazer that did the same thing. When you push the pedal it was like the engine was starving for air and would not rev. 1 minute later it overheated and stalled. After I towed it home I started it and the bottom end was knocking real bad. The bearings were a puddle of goop in the pan. (It is also a chevy) Here"s hoping that it is something simple like a loose throttle cable !!

yeah, check your throttle cable that goes the tranny.(for automatics) I had the same thing happen to me. If thats the case consider it fried.

Is it automatic?

It is a manual, I went out and started it up and it smells like it is runnin rich. I'm gonna say it wouldn't start when it first died on the highway cause it was too hot but could it have gotten flooded when I was on the accelerator and it wasn't accelerating?

Maybe you have an injector that is staying open... But I don't know why it would overheat on you like that.

If you lost oil pressure... that seems like you may have spun a bearing, and that would explain the overheating issue.

Keep us posted!

Dave.

Did you pop the balancer? It sounds like you dropped all the belts.

Chris

well if you lost your belt why would the oil pressure drop also...

did the car have a dead battery??? could be why it stalled.. and you oil pressure droped?? and thats if the belts did fall off...

well if you lost your belt why would the oil pressure drop also...

did the car have a dead battery??? could be why it stalled.. and you oil pressure droped?? and thats if the belts did fall off...

well, if the belt blew off then the engine would stop running, and oil pressure would drop.

i really dont think a dead battery would make it overheat and drop oil pressure.

im leaning towards a spun bearing :(

When it gets hot you will lose oil pressure when it gets hot. It wont go to 0 lest it dies but when the belt slid off, you could very well have made it REALLY hot. Not having flow will do that to ya.

Chris

Back