Look at what I found in my remanufactured motor....

A1cntrler

A while back I posted about recieveing my motor. It came from S&S engines in Seattle, WA. (See post here: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87313) In that post I mentioned about finding some stuff down in the water jackets in the front of the motor. I was able to fish some of it out that way and figured it would be ok. I called S&S to ask them about it and they said it was likely some Stop Leak that someone had put in it prior to try to cure the head gasket problem that plagues these motors, or they had a radiator leak and wanted it to stop. Said it shouldn't affect anything and to run the motor and flush the anti-freeze after a week or so of driving as it would likely dissolve. I thought nothing more of it. Fast forward to yesterday and today. I had decided to pull the heads to gasket match and put on ARP hardware. I looked down into the jackets are around each cylinder and found more stuff like before. I spent the better part of an hour with one of those little claw grab things, a flashlight and a bunch of compressed air. The result can be seen below(most of it anyways..some of it was broken up so small that all it did was tick me off as it flew out of the block at ludricris speed into my face). I think I may have averted a problem with cooling from happening. If it didn't get lodged in the block somewhere, I could see it blocking up my new radiator, or screwing up my new water pump, or the new heater core, or plugging up something that shouldn't be... Glad I decided to go with the ARP now for many reasons.... New pistons are so pretty, aren't they??? :D

P7230012.jpg

P7230011.jpg

P7230013.jpg

Last edited:
that does look nice ,the motor

as for the gunk ,i think that i would be very-very disappointed that it had been sent out that way ,one of the reasons i would do my own work

if the block had been hot tanked ,i would think someone would inspect it to find such things or stuff ,but anyway sounds like you've got it under control

cheers

Looks like you averted disaster! Your radiator would not have liked those chunks. Hard to believe a "professional" engine house would send something out like that. I believe I'd cc them on your photos. At any rate, lots of scraping and blowing should take care of it. You may want to knock out the core plugs for better access to make sure you get all of it. Core plugs are cheap, and you can install brass after you're finished.

Otherwise, the engine looks great.

JD

I'm glad you posted pic's of your pistons...I was just going to submit a few of my rebuild and see if anyone had the same, or could identify mine. Mine are the same as yours..

Back