dunno if its a repost, sc engine in a taurus?

My brother was recently given a 1993 Taurus (non SHO) for free...something about grandma and grandpa gave to thier granddaughter, and the ungrateful little beotch threw a fit and didn't want to be seen in it...anyways) He put $80 into registration and has been driving it every day for about 6 mos. now no problems... It has the 3.8 in it and he mentioned about putting a SC engine in it.. Sounds like a lot of work to me. But it would be pretty cool.. Could you imagine the torque steer in a FWD car with this motor in it?? I know the Grand Prix is SC and FWD, but it was designed for it... I told him to find a SHO motor and put in it if he wants to do anything...

I read somewhere that someone had swapped a Continental engine/trans into a Taurus. Now that looked interesting. ;)

Last edited:
Ive always thought this would be cool and cheap... The old 3.8 taurus motor was esentialy the same thing as the RWD 3.8 with alot less balls(how i don't know) but i've owned a 92 taurus 3.8 and a 90 t-bird 3.8 and the t-bird (both na) would spank the taurus baddly! an SC motor in a taurus would spank a SHO pretty baddly i would think....

t-bird (both na) would spank the taurus baddly!

I bet it would have something to do with the driveline/FWD setup. My 300M Special has a 255 hp V6 in it, and is FWD. The same motor and HP rating can be found in the Prowler. Even though the prowler is much much lighter, it does not compare to the FWD setup in the 300M Special...

A lot of it has to do with the gearing as well. Maybe the t-bird is geared better for speed, while the Taurus is more geared for fuel economy...

I can't imagine the transmission would last very long. Stock the SC motor puts most of it's torque out down low. The SHO motors had torque peaks much higher. That reduced the stress on the driveline.

It would be fun to try, but I would just be aware of the potential for failure.

Convert the Taurus to RWD using the driveline from an SC... :D That would be a sleeper. I can see my brothers free car now... That seafoam green color, dent/missing trim on pass door..smoking the rear wheels off the line. I wonder what the Taurus weighs vs. the SC....

i would love to see this project! lol. anyone wanna doante a taurus, some driveline bits, an sho trans... and a few choice swear words? :D

Back