5-Speed to Auto wiring...

Smoof

Greetings,
Last year, my friends and I took out my old 5-speed and put in a nice built AOD. My 5-speed was on it's last legs and I didn't have the money to get parts to fix it, nor could I have my car down for a time while I waited on the parts, etc, etc. My friend graciously is letting me use his AOD that's got a nice shift kit in it and everything. But, the problem is, for the past year, I've been ignoring the fact that I have no speedometer. It's a simple fix from what I know, basically all I need is to connect some wires up.

Does anyone know exactly what I need to do? For the five speed, there was the connector that hooked into the transmission and then into the dash right under the center console. So what do I need to do for the AOD? I've heard I need to splice some wires together and whatnot, so does anyone know exactly what those wires are? I'd really like to have a speedometer and for my mileage thing to work again. :eek:

Thanks.

Each transmission has it's own wiring harness that goes from the tranny to the plug under the dash/console. You would have to install the harness for the auto.

I don't need to do anything special? Someone had told me that I'd need to splice some wires together and whatnot. It's as easy as merely getting the requisite harness and plugging it in?

I don't think you need to splice anything. The computers are the same. I swapped from auto to manual in my car and just replaced that harness. The only thing I can think of would be to get a jumper plug for the clutch pedal so you don't have to push in the clutch to start it. you can find those in any auto SC.

Back