Looking for opinions on clutch replacement

A1cntrler

I did a search for clutch on here and came up with many many pages of people having problems with thier clutches, or how to fix this or that...

I am looking to hear what those of you that have used different clutches in thier SC's think about them. My motor is going to be completely stock, so I don't need to have a high performance clutch. Car will be a weekend driver pretty much only. I see that SCP has a "economy clutch kit" for $195, or I can get this Fenco clutch kit for $134 from my local parts store:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEN&MfrPartNumber=NU31102B1&PartType=244&PTSet=A

Or one made by Perfection for $188:

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=PHT&MfrPartNumber=MU19671&PartType=244&PTSet=A

What do you guys think??

Stock used as a local daily drive but usually only used on weekends?? Stock LUK clutch and set up, wherever you can find it the cheapest.

Ira

Fenco is working for me...

I'm using the Fenco (installed November 2006) and it seems to work great for my stock setup. I do recommend (if you have the extra money) that if you're not sure when the slave cylinder was replaced last, change it when you do the clutch. I went a few steps further and replaced the flywheel ($40 + core...mind you resurfacing was going to cost $35) and the clutch master cylinder. Just something to think about. The last thing you want to do is tear it all down again this coming winter when it gets cold.

Go with the OEM LUK kit (Model 07-070). I got mine from Pep Boys for only $130. It has everything (pressure plate, friction disc, release and pilot bearings) except the slave cylinder which runs another ~$80. I replaced mine at ~93,000 miles because of a leaking slave but the clutch disc was nearly worn to the rivets. Resurfaced the flywheel for <$20. Also replaced the rear main oil seal (~$17), spark plugs (Autolite double plat), and engine mounts (~$70 for solid mounts at Pep Boys) while I was at it. Drained and added new ATF (with friction modifier) to the tranny. Bled the clutch hydraulic system which is not hard unless you replace the master cylinder.

The clutch feels great so far. Note that if you refinish the flywheel make note of how much metal they remove. You may need to shim the slave to get the proper clearances. I didn't need to.

I would do the LUK setup for a stock replacement. Make sure you do the throwout bearing and slave cylinder at the same time. Also the pinion bearing.

I have the spec Stage 2 clutch and spec aluminum flywheel. After all the bad words I've heard about it, I've found it pretty forgiving so far.

Is LUK a brand or a type?? I have a flywheel already (resurfaced by the-big-e, unless he sent it out), and there is no motor in the car, so the clutch master cylinder is on my list... $60 for a Raybestos one at Advance Auto. Looks like it would be a bear to replace with the motor in the car, so may as well do it now. My flywheel was sent off the the builder when they balanced the motor, so I'll be using that one definately, unless there is someway to verify that it is zero balanced... Come to think of it it must be since there aren't any marks to line up from the builder to orient the wheel in a certain position... So I guess just about any would do.. Thanks for the input. My budget thanks you. I was looking at Summit and Jegs, and couldn't find anything under $250 :eek:

LUK is a brand of clutch.

You should have marked the flywheel before removing it if it was included in the balancing of the motor originally. My flywheel was marked when I installed it after balancing. It may or may not be significant, it's just what you do when you disassembly rotating assemblies.

I never did anything with the flywheel. Got it in the mail from Eddie (the-big-e) and shipped it off to Seattle to be balanced with the engine. Teh builder shipped it back to me in the box with the engine, not attached to it. Maybe it is marked somehow, I'll have to take a look closer at the motor and the wheel..

Back