PDA

View Full Version : I need help rewiring my fog lights.

Evan_90SC
07-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm trying to rewire my fog lights to a different source so that they don't overpower the headlight switch, and so that my headlights don't flash when my fogs are on. I'm not much of an electrical guy though, and I have read about many different ways to rewire the fogs, not many of which I could really understand how to do, with my lack of electrical knowledge. I did find this though: http://www.sccoa.com/articles/foglights.php
I did everything that these instructions told me to do, but the ending result wasn't what I wanted. What was supposed to happen was the fogs were supposed to be powered by the ignition. When the ignition comes on, the fogs do too, and they could come on without the headlights being on. But what happened when I did it was the headlights came on with the ignition, instead of the fog lights, and the fogs wouldn't work at all. I'm not sure why it did this, but I just put all the wiring back to original, and now I'm back to square one. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened, or any other easy solutions to rewiring the fogs? Thanks!

MercsSC1
07-28-2007, 08:19 AM
this is from a 92 SC..and not sure if same as a 90 Sc ..you will need to check ..I thought there was a relay for fogs in there ...for a 90 ..hopefully not for you...but easy way to do it ..is to cut the R/BK wire before the fog lamp fuse in the primary junction box [under hood by battery] and run a new wire from the cold side of the starter relay [on fender]...to the fuse ... leave the switch in the on position and fogs will come on with key ...if you want to use the car ignition in acc position...you can turn fog switch off and not drain battery ..sorry I don't have my 90 manual to work from ..so this could be all for nothing ....dave

fturner
07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
On the '90 SC, if you drop the fuse panel under the dash on the back right corner look for a plug that has thinner red/black wire going into it (red wire with black stripe), a thick grey/yellow wire and a thick black/orange wire.

The plug is a 4 wire plug with just 3 wires going into it. If you cut the red/black wire there and splice that onto the grey/yellow wire you'll get exactly what your looking for. I actually rigged up a jumper plug so I didn't need to cut any wires and I can return it back to the stock hookup.

1 advantage this way is you get to keep the 15amp fuse thats in the fuse panel for the fog lights ;)

I am in the process of wiring up a relay though up at the front of the car to take the load off the fuse panel there and the fog light switch, and give the fogs full power from the battery.. this project also includes relays and diodes for the head lights as well.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to tell you, you need to splice the red/black wire coming from the connector that goes into the fuse panel, not the other end... tape that end up so you don't short anything out.

Evan_90SC
07-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Thanks guys! I'll take your ideas into consideration and let you know what happens.