power steering pump question

vytas

i am getting my ps pump replaced and i am a bit of confused regarding the actuator valve for the variable assist steering.

Is the actuator valve for the variable steering available as part of the PS pump - which is intended for our cars? Or is it a totally separate unit that has to be purchased separately from the PS pump?

thanks

The EVO actuator is a separate unit. It costs more than a new pump from an auto parts store. One usually transfers the valve from the old pump to the new one, after changing the seals, including the two O-rings inside the valve. The new pump should include all the necessary seals.

is there any easy way to tell the condition of the EVO ?

mine is still original (91) -do the EVO's typically require changing when pw pump is changed ?

thanks

The actuator is too expensive to be replaced proactively.
Here's how I'd check it:
Unplug the connector for the EVO actuator valve.
Measure the resistance between the two pins at the actuator. It should be between 5 and 20 ohms.
With the actuator unplugged, the steering should feel light (you should have full power steering assist). With it connected, the steering feel should be heavier at highway speeds (assuming that everything else related to the speed-sensitive steering is working correctly).

evo

well, the power assist feature is still working - i was just wondering since getting at the ps pump is a lot of work - if replacing the EVo might be wise while in there...

Back