No luck searching: setup with no IC

Manny built an intake that flipped the M90. It had water lines running in the back of the intake with a heater core to cool it. I dont know if it ever got finished, but I am SURE he would share his findings with you.

Chris

I dunno, I see 200f intake temps with a stock intercooler so I can't see it getting better without one.

I think water intercooler core would be a minimum.

Outlet temps of a ported Eaton at 15psi = 350 deg. Unless you plan to run low boost this would not be an effective alternative.

I have seen it done to TAURUS 3.8's with a m-90 on top...it was just like a u shape pipe from the sc top to the intake...I think thats how they had to fit it in the taurus fwd...otherwise the ic would be at ur gas pedal ,lol....maybe with like 5 lbs of boost it would be ok ??

I did this a couple of years ago and ran Snow methonal injection. Did it as a test while I was collecting the pieces to build my water/air IC set up. Obviously the tubing length could be much shorter than what I did, but ultimately I just needed the car to run so I could get it up to the shop to build fab the a/w set up.

Car ran fine this way, but was about a second slower in the 1/4 mile from what I remember vs. with water/air IC set up. Found some info I put into a thread awhile ago:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63906&page=7&highlight=intercoolerless

"Well it's on the road now intercoolerless. At cruise once the car is fully warmed up the ACT temp is around 150-155 degrees. Temperature outside is around 85 degrees.

Under boost ACT temp is right around 120 degrees at wot with Snow System. Around a 30 to 35 degree temperature drop. This is with a stock 89-93 pulley on the supercharger and a 10% jackshaft pulley getting around 13lbs of boost. I have some smaller blower pulleys and will probaly be putting them on and logging some more data."

"I changed the stock sc pulley and 10% jackshaft and switched to 10% SC pulley and 10% jackshaft pulley. Cruise ACT is still around 150 or so degrees, but it really heats up a bit more vs. stock pulley and 10% jackshaft. I am seeing about 17lbs+ of boost, up from 13lbs before. ACT temp is reaching 180-185 degrees under boost wot in third. I'd hate to see what the ACT temp is without the boost cooler!"
a/f was around 12.2 and ACT temp was around 143 and
decreasing as I came up on around 5700 rpm. I was hitting around 185 degree ACT temp with smaller nozzle. Good stuff and pretty amazing without an intercooler on the car Going to track on Sunday."

"Day was warm about 82 degrees or so and was somewhat dissappointing in a way. I was seeing ACT temps peaking at around 180 degrees plus while running through the traps. A/F was pretty solid at around 12. I could feel the car pull timing once it heated up. What a difference cooler air makes as show in earlier posts and just third gear pulls, not a full out quarter mile run through the gears.

Track was prepped bad so my MT ET Streets wouldn't hook and my best 60 foot was a 2.11. I ran two 13.77 quarter miles at 100.XX mph. Guess I would be the first XR7/SC to run 13's without and intercooler On a good track and cooler weather I think I could run a low 13 set up this way with lower ACT's and not pulling timing. With my old air/liquid intercooler and an SMC alcohol injection kit I ran a best of around 12.6 last year.

So there is the data running without an intercooler and using Snow Injection System, it is possible to do but your better off with an intercooler in my opinion unless you have some decent cooler temps outside and not running some serious overdrive on the blower."

DSC00105-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the snow reservoir bottle isn't big enough if you're gonna rely on it just to drive around.

Where is your inter cooler mounted, or going to be mounted? looks like you are just coming out, and going right back in with nothing in between.

Yeah, the snow reservoir bottle isn't big enough if you're gonna rely on it just to drive around.

Where is your inter cooler mounted, or going to be mounted? looks like you are just coming out, and going right back in with nothing in between.

Yes there is no intercooler with that set up in the pic. That was from two years ago. If you do a search for air/water intercooler set ups, you will find some pics of my set up. Or go this article:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/12/CougarXR7/

How has that intercooler been working out? What did you use for a heat exchanger? I'm looking at doing a Air to Water unit as well and starting to shop for parts.

Works great, really low act temps while running Snow system. Using Fluidyne 03-04 Mustang Cobra Heat Exchanger and Spearco air/water intercooler. Look at my member page for parts info.

Back