Tips for dropping the AOD?

Danzajax

Im going to the boneyard next weekend to yank an AOD out of an SC there. Im going to transplant it into my 5.8L 88 Cougar project.

Rules of the Boneyard:
1. No Jacks.
2. No Power.

Observing the above rules, whats the best way to get the trans out of an SC? Ive pulled a junkyard trans out of a S15 before and that was a major bear because of bellhousing clearances. Will I be able to get at the bellhousing bolts using a stack of extensions (the GMC Way). Or will i have to pull stuff off the top of the engine till i can see the bolts?

BTW, its an almost complete SC (minus bumpers). If anyone is interested in something specific I might be able to pull it.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

-dz

When me and my bro pulled a 5spd for my auto to 5 spd swap we just both got under the car on our backs and like "benchpressed it" it down...but the auto is wayy heavier i wouldnt recomend doing it that way ... maybe pull the motor and trans out as one with their cherry pickers, then seperate and take the tranny, thats what I would prolly do,as we have the same restrictions at pick and pull.....

Will I be able to get at the bellhousing bolts using a stack of extensions (the GMC Way). Or will i have to pull stuff off the top of the engine till i can see the bolts?

-dz

You can get to all of the bellhousing bolts from the bottom. I've done the extension stack method and I've also been able to use a 1/4" drive ratchet and snake my hand up there (but my transmission has been out many times and the bolts are never seized).

if I pull the Bellhousing bolts, but cannot get the TC Bolts, will there be enough room to pull the trans back and down to clear the TC snout? Im not sure, but the block might be seized.

if I pull the Bellhousing bolts, but cannot get the TC Bolts, will there be enough room to pull the trans back and down to clear the TC snout? Im not sure, but the block might be seized.

I suppose if you can drop the tailshaft of the transmission low enough, you might be able to slide the transmission back far enough to clear the converter, but ideally, it would be best to remove the converter with the transmission (by unbolting it from the flex plate).

I agree, that would be Ideal...but a junkyards not the most ideal of places (especially in the tx sun). Im hoping it turns, just asking...what if?

Do nto attempt to leave the converter on the flexplate. I have seen this done. That center input shaft is very long.
Alan

Well, what im going to do is try and turn the crank right off the bat. If it doesnt spin, ill pull the engine/trans combo.

Yup. I'd try to turn the engine by the crank bolt and remove the converter nuts first. The bolts are reachable, but the top 2 are difficult to see and reach and are tight as heck. A ratcheting wrench is my preferred way of breaking them loose w/o rounding off the bolt head. Of course, you have to use some sort of cheater bar to get enough leverage. I have wired a cresent wrench onto the ratcheting wrench with bailing wire and that worked.

Otherwise, the AOD can be bench press lifted by 2 people, or 1 really strong guy. Its around 150lbs.. Another thing you could do is just let it fall onto couple of layers of flattened cardboard boxes.

When I pulled the one from the S15, I just got out from under it, reached under and pulled on the tail shaft until it fell in the mud. FUN FUN. Removing that last bolt, I had to be very careful. I hated doing it this way. The AOD looks even larger than the 700R.

This is San Antonio. The U Pull is so rigid here on rules. There is a guy in a cage that checks your tools going in. :(

well if you cant use jacks how are you gonna get under it to begin with? I would try and get a ground of your friends to go with you. Find some just rims/tires and throw them under the car with your friends lifting one side

In a U-Pull, they put the cars up stacks of rims welded together, then weld the frame to the rims. Its sturdy and ive been under a bunch of them. A stack of welded rims make surprisingly good jack stands. So the car is already 2ft in the air or so.

In a U-Pull, they put the cars up stacks of rims welded together, then weld the frame to the rims. Its sturdy and ive been under a bunch of them. A stack of welded rims make surprisingly good jack stands. So the car is already 2ft in the air or so.

good for you then here in ct the cars are just parked in a big field, although I think you can bring whatever tools you need including jack stands

Back