break assembley making a really wierd noise??

NightMare3.8

when im driving my 90 auto sc around every 10 mins or so i hear this howling noise coming from behind my steering wheel...i parked the car and opened the hood then shut if off and turned the key forward and the noise sounded like a huge electrical box humming and had a really nasty clunk clunk clunk goin on inside it... to my knowledge its coming from the break assembly( or whatever the fluid sits on top) my breaks will get hard and it will be very hard to stop sometimes also ... then it snaps out of it.. thats the accumulator ball right?? so does this mean that since my ball is bad that my abs motor is starting to go out also..?? any help would be nice and any info on how much it will cost and what ill need to switch over to conventional breaks since im sure my abs is shot will be greatly appriciated... Thanks for the help!

pulled the fuse

ok well since the noise was coming back i pulled the ABS motor fuse under the hood and the noise went away instantly...BUT since the accumulator is bad it also has rock hard breaks now...so i just put the fuse back in and now im looking for a new ABS motor...anyone know where i can pick one up??? oh yea... and an accumulator...or would it be cheaper to just switch it all out

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a new accumlator is around $100...who knows how much the pump is (and how hard it is to replace!) I have in mind that you have to remove the ABS assembly to work on the pump anyway - if it even CAN be worked on.

The word is that swapping to conventional is usually cheaper than even working on the ABS. I'm sure others have differing opinions though.

It's the same thing. I don't know where you could get that pump either. :rolleyes:

The brake system swap seems pretty straight-forward, that's what I'll be doing as soon as I get the other SC going again. (one of the many things I'll be doing)

Rebuilt units are available through Prior Remanufacturing. http://www.priorreman.com

The catalog lists only the complete reman unit, which probably goes for $500 to $600. However, if you call them, you can get just an accumulator for ~ $140.

Or you can look for a good used one. Maybe try the junkyard.

Back