input shaft bearing?

sinhumane

i've had a problem with my 95 5sp grinding.. and now it almost constant when downshifting into second.. i think it may have been my shenanigans that caused the input or output shaft bearing to go south.. not letting the gears mesh up right... also.. i checked the reservoir.. and that trans fluid looks nasty brown.. isnt it supposed to be pinkish? why would old fluid be in there if it had a new clutch? doesnt it have to be drained? :confused: i think my next car will be automatic.. or have a dealership waranty for the next bajillion years.. lmfao. :D

They do not change your fluid for the clutch. Change it with what all others recoment (GM SYNCHROMESH) and call it a day. I used royal purple (but did not add my friction modifier) and loved it until I lost 3/4. All of the manual tranny cars will eventually have problems. It is just because they wear out.

Chris

Wont fit without more modification than you want to do. You have to move the shifter about a foot back and lengthen the driveshaft.

Chris

hmm... and i can get a rebuilt trans for 700. and save my fingers.. lol. i think i'll go spec clutch, new trans, and alum. flywheel all in one shot....

and yeah.. mn12 performance used to sell a shifter housing extension, but it cost almost as much as the trans itself.

How old is that web page? It shows the 1-5 syncros, are lined. I have been beaten on many times for saying they are still available from some aftermarket suppliers. Anyway, I am going to rebuild a few and see how much work/parts/money/other dodads for my time are going to go into them. If it works out well, I will sell some of them. I have a few junkyard people with some "INS" looking for me here. I am trying to pick up a few more spares so when I blow one apart, I can stick a new one in it.

Chris

I am going to try to remember to call them tomorrow to see what the deal is. I can not tell if the master kit comes with only bearings and seals and you have to pay an additional 300 bux for the syncros or if it is included. It LOOKS like they are seperate.

Chris

i may be getting another for anywhere from 300-400. used. shipped. but i'll be glad to sell you my old one for cheap to experiment on.

Let me know what you find out about that rebuild kit/ syncros I came accross that page while i was searching for rebuild parts. I found a transmission on ebay for $50 so I never called on the rebuild kit.:D This is what it said on the page about the master kit:

Main case bearings, gaskets, seals, kits may also include nuts, dogs & wires, thrust bearings, extension housing bushing, small parts kit, shifter bushings however miscellaneous parts will vary by transmission. Syncro rings are sold separately in sets.

a WORKING transmission for 50 bucks? lucky. i'm prolly gonna be shelling out 350 bucks for one that has 38k miles on it... ah well. still cheaper than that rebuild kit for sale, and the cost of rebuilding it. ;)

Back