Please help a desprite sc

fastscbird

i am having a number of problems with my sc I will # them so i know which one you are answering :(

#1 when i start my car it idles great for about 10 mins and then the idle drops down to about 600rpm and the car sounds like it has a 700 lift cam.

#2 i am having a problem with overheating and i beleave it is the radiator(i prey) what else could it be. i am loosing coolant but the car doesnt seem to be producing white smoke at all. on the top of the radiator i can see a small pin hole leak could that do it? it isnt spraying just a bubble know and then.

#3 Electrical things are starting to quit working slowly. first it was the lil key pad on the door, then the interior lights stoped comming on when the door opens, now the cruse control doesnt work, oh yea and the blower for the hvac wont change it is on constant defroster.

#4 i have a bump in the back end everytime i accelerate or change gears. it seems to be comming from the diff area.

#5 i recently obtained a extra sc motor that seems to have many upgrades. how do i get the dang sc pully off of that motor and should i put it on my car the pully seems to be about 3/4 of an inch if not an inch smaller across than my pully about what % overdrive is it

#6 some times the car wont start i turn the key and i hear the silonoid click but no start. after the car sits for a while (2 days) it will start but after a short time of driving the problem is back.

i would really appriciate any help i can get

sincerly Billy Lowry

and ps: i need a new tranny

Last edited:
#1-sounds like motor mounts.
When the engine is cold the car runs on default settings, once it warms up the knock sensor starts telling the timing to retard. The bad mounts rattle the knock sensor

#2-Overheating could be one of many things.
start simple---put on a new radiator cap.
Some Water pump lub with sealant might stop your pin hole.
Your cooling system may need flushing (be sure to bleed the syatem)
Could be clogged fins in ac condensor or radiator.
Could be fan related
(hate to mention it--head gaskets sometimes start with a small loss of
coolant)
#4 check the forums, there is info on changing the SC pulley

GOOD LUCK

check your water pump's weep hole.

check fuses for the electrical problems. if they're good check under the driver's side carpet for a wire bundle. there's a splice with yellow/green wires that may have corroded apart.

Biggest thing for now... forget about any kind of pully swap until you have the other problems sorted.

#1. I'm actually having the same issue. After testing different idle RPM settings with my eec tuner, I'm aiming to replace the IAC thats located on the throttle body. I command a 1000 RPM idle and it will hold it after warm up till I touch the throttle then it drops to about 600.

#2 Time for an overhaul so to speak. Go with fresh coolant after a back flush through the cooling system, new "STOCK" tstat, new rad cap, new water pump if its leaking (do NOT use ANY kind of fix it goo snake oil lubricant joy juice, especially in these cars), throw in a bottle of water wetter. If you can pull out the rad while your doing this, that would be great as you spray out your ac condensor from back to front, and keep going ten minutes after it looks clean ;), you will be amazed how much crap gets in there, then do the same with the rad. Check also how the air dam is under the car.

#3 Typical Ford wiring. I'm in the process of pulling all the electrical connections, cleaning them and a little bit of dieletrical grease.

#4 When where the ujoints last checked? The diffs in these cars are usually pretty solid, with the exception of the tlock wearing out after awhile, but those shouldn't cause a clunk, but just give you a peg leg to drive with ;).

#5 Forget about any kind of mods till you get things running right, especially with #2

#6 Known issue with ole starters, may want to look at a replacement.

Who said these beasts where cheap :( .... I'm gonna declare bankruptcy in short order.... HHHEEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!

Just kidding but they ain't cheap, and its better at their age not to be using them as daily drivers anymore IMHO.

Back