why does my trany leak so much? *PICS*

bigcletus94

I dont know why, but ever since I put my new motor in, the trany has been leaking. It seems to be leaking from the front of the trans pan around the gasket. I dont see how it could considering I installed a new gasket( even thought the old one said it was reuseable) and torqued all the bolts down to spec. I believe 120 in/lbs. One of the holes I stripped out so I used a heli coil and repaired it and now it is stronger than before but still leaks! I then thought that the dipstick hole was the culprit so I replaced the 0-ring on the bottom of the dipstick and guess what...it still leaks! What am I missing here?

leak.jpg

leak2.jpg
[/IMG]
leak3.jpg
[/IMG]

Any ideas?? Thanks

Get a UV tester.

Add it to the trans fluid and use the UV light to detect where it is coming from.

Shouldn't cost you much money and you'll find the culprit. What about the input shaft trans seal? Or how about the Torque converter. Those could have been damaged during the install. Just a guess though.

Tranny Leak

Deep6 is right. The Front Mail Seal on the transmission coulb be the one leaking. Or it could be the torque converter. Did you drain the tranny fluid from the converter when you took out the engine ?? check the drain plug on the converter, it could be loose, and that could be your leak. If its the tranny's front mail seal that is leaking, when you take down the tranny, i would recommend you have the torque converted tweeked (higher performance). :D

After thinking more about this, I think it is still the dipstick tube that is leaking. The new o-ring I installed I bought from a hardware store and may not have been the correct one. When I installed it, it was not as snug as I thought it would be so that leeds me to believe that it is the tube leaking still. It is very slow, and it accumulates fluid in that area then it leaks down and drips around the whole front area. Tomorrow I will order an o-ring from the dealer and see if that helps. Thanks for the responses :)

P.S. I am pretty sure its not the torque converter because both rubber inspection covers were bone dry when I removed them to check.

I agree. The dealer should have that dipstick o-ring in stock. If it leaks from there it will soak the bottom of the pan and eventually the bottom of the whole trans.

My wife gets onto me because I have a drip pan in the driveway to collect fluid from my phantom leak. Like you, I'm stumped.. I replaced the gasket; there is no accumulation of wet fluid around the filler tube nor the cooler lines. It seem whenever I park on a incline, then I come out to a small puddle of fluid underneath.. but I'll be dammed if I can see where its from.
I did have a cracked rubber hose up near the radiator and that got so bad that I well just plain had to fix it. But the mystery leak is well a mystery. I've learned to live with it I suppose.:(

I got the O-ring from the dealer today (free too!). It is somewhat fatter than the one I put in there recently. I dont have a day off until Sunday however. That is when I plan on installing it and flush my ps at the same time. I will let you know if that stops the leaking because it sounds like you and I have the same problem.

Back