Would it be to much??

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Ok here is my thought... I'm wanting to go to the shootout...I'm wanting to tow the SC.... And i'm wanting to do some camping on my trip(take off a week).... I can get a nice heavy hitch for the back of the camper for not to much... and i can get ahold of a car dolly so..... I've come up with this..

truck 5300lbs
camper 7600lbs
SC+Car dolly 4000lbs

With the SC BEHIND the camper i would think that you would have no wind resistance... Its not to bad pulling the camper power-wise as it is... Stopping shouldnt be a problem i have brakes on both axles and the car dolly has surge brakes.. Also the camper brakes are EXTREMELY strong i run them on 30% at 60+mph and they are still a little to much... I dunno maybe its a dumb idea but i don't plan on braking any land speed records just run 55mph or so...

Technically (and legally) from the numbers you listed, your truck would need a GVWR of 16,900 lbs and a towing capacity of 11,600 lbs. Without looking, I'm not even sure my F-250 would be "legal".

Except for semi trucks where is it legal to pull a trailer pulling a trailer.:eek: Or am i not understanding what you are doing? Even with all those brakes a panic stop would be hairy. I wouldnt consider towing that rig with a 1 ton dually.

You would need a least a class 4 truck or 1 ton truck to haul that weight. My truck is set up for that, but I did not class the truck as a 4 due to PA rediculous registration fees for trucks. I can only legally haul about 10,600.

Ken

I say do it so that we have something to talk about at the Shootout. :D

Me, I plan on placing the SC on top of the bed of the truck and strapping it down. I should be good to go with all the rubber straps Rich (Prostreet Rich) gave me.

If you want to be tecnical i'm already ilegal because my plates are for 7000lbs (on the truck) but the truck is rated to tow 9000.. 4.10 gear 1/2 ton chevys are rated at 10/11000lbs! I would deffinately be taking out the drive-shaft.... I have a wieght distributing hitch and sway bar on the trailer.... I'm just concenred about having enough power to do it.. Would the 4000lb sc realy be that much harder to pull since the camper is already punching a hole in the wind??

On a side note my old truck (f-150) i bought of my inlaws and he pulled the following to florida every year..

truck 91 f150 300/5speed 2.72 gears

2900lb slide in truck camper

car dolley with a late 70's new-yorker

16' bass boat on the new yorker's hitch.

rigged all the lights to work and never had any problems other than having to run 3rd gear most of the way.. When i sold the truck it had almost 300k on it and still ran good with original drive-train..

Wow...If you are actually planning on doing this how about posting a detailed route map with ETA's. That way I can be sure to stay as far away as possible.

Just because you can do something doesn't make it a good idea.

My vote: Yes it would be too much.

My experience with SC's is that a 4000lb car doesn't tow well on a dolly.

Also, there's about a 1000% chance that the Ohio State Troopers won't let you get away with it. They have a nation-wide reputation.

Also, there's about a 1000% chance that the Ohio State Troopers won't let you get away with it. They have a nation-wide reputation.

That's for sure. I got pulled over in Ohio while driving the speed limit in an empty Ryder box truck, just so they could look inside.

They probably had some sort of tip on a drug or stolen merchandise or illegal immigrant scheme. I don't think they would do that just for fun.

That being said, here's a story from when I went to college in Ohio. My friend and I got pulled over in his huge old Cadillac about 2 AM one night. We were both dressed up as we had been to a theater show that night. The cop checked us out, looked over my friend's paperwork, then said, "You were swerving. Stay in your lane. Have a good night." After he left, we said to ourselves, "No we weren't! He totally made that up." We figured he thought we were gangstas and wanted to score a nice crack bust or something.

They would do that in Ohio. They pulled over my wife because she negotiated a lane split without signaling which way she was going to go. You know, one of those splits on the freeway where one lane divides and goes different ways? Not only did they stop her, but they detained her for an hour while they got a K-9 unit out to search the truck. Seems 30yr white women in late model, out of state pickups with small children and plastic trikes in the back are the profile of the modern drug smuggler. :rolleyes:

Never underestimate an Ohio State Trooper.

Yea...One time one of those dudes had the nerve to pull me over and write me a ticket for speeding. I was only going 92 in a 65:)

several people i know pull small trailers or boats behind there travel trailers with no problem but sounds like ohio cops are d***s I drove to dayton in the SC a few years back to go to the wright patterson and i sped(following along with trafic pretty much) almost all the way there averaged 80/85mph on the interstate with no problems... Of course i have a radar detector so that helps a bit..

several people i know pull small trailers or boats behind there travel trailers with no problem but sounds like ohio cops are d***s I drove to dayton in the SC a few years back to go to the wright patterson and i sped(following along with trafic pretty much) almost all the way there averaged 80/85mph on the interstate with no problems... Of course i have a radar detector so that helps a bit..
I don't think the problem is pulling something that pulls something else behind it; I've seen that before too (one time I saw a motor home, pulling a Hum-V, pulling a boat). Anyway, if the cop thinks the tow vehicle is capable of legalling pulling the load, you might be ok.

I guess if you still want to try it, you could check with OH (and other states you will be driving through) laws and see pulling something that's pulling something else is allowed in the particular state.

Back