ALARM Quirk - Ideas???

wwwtbirdforumcom

My 90 sc has an alarm quirk - this has the factory alarm and about 20 secs after I lock the doors the alarm goes off - this happens avery time - its almost as though the system is arming and then detecting a break in and it goes off - anyone got any ideas what to look for???

Right after I got my car I noticed that if I didn't slam the driver's side door hard enough it would pop back open a little. Once after locking the doors from the inside I shut the door and it popped open a little. I ignored it, but then 30 seconds later I was running back out to the car to shut the alarm off.

Check for bad switches on the doors. I don't know shiz about my car yet, but I swear there are two switches in each door. One for the lights, and one to trigger the seatbelt and alarm crap.

Hope that helps.

after checking the all of the switches, check the door hinges for play. The switch may be good but not activate reliably because of a bad hinge.

Aaron

hinges on this car are perfect p no sag and doors shut smoothly - I could only see one switch on each door - am I missing something???

I had that same problem with my '91. The best solution is to open up the trunk, dig around under the carpet on the left side, and unplug the alarm. I ended up having to do this because my friends always thought it was funny to set my alarm when we hung out at the park and my *** would be running over to my car to shut the alarm off 18 times a night. I rank these alarms up there with the CD players in these cars. Brandon

Thanks BlkSCnKS, but I would rather find out the cause and fix it rather than disable it all together.

The hinges are solid, no door sag etc.
What is the best way to trouble shoot this?
As far as the switches, what should I be looking for, is there a separate switch for the alarm system? Same switch as interior lights?

Anyone else have a similar problem with their car?

Thanks in advance for your input, it's appreciated!

I have the same problem with my 92 but I have a saggy hinge on the drivers door. I get that fixed in the morning so hopefully it helps. I think there is just one switch but I also think that the door being latched closes a ground or something like that for the other "switch".

My guess-the door switch is either out of alignment or bad. Since Ford was nice enough to put the "door ajar" switch IN THE DAMN DOOR, a bad switch can be tough to diagnose. My 92 would activate the motorized seatbelts with the door open. If I shook the door hard enough, I could get the belt motor to reset. The factory alarm module uses the door ajar switch and since the driver's door is used the most.......I'd swap out that one first and see how it goes.
The actual pin switch in the door jamb is only for the courtesy lamps and is not associated with the anti-theft.

Back