Oil Pressure

dklitzke

I'm sitting for about 30-45 minutes in traffic last night at idle w/AC running waiting for an accident to be cleared. Apparently some body crashed and burned their SUV. I see my "check your guages" light come on, but didn't notice till about 10 minutes later, 0 oil pressure. I pulled over, shut down and got a AAA tow home. After the car was off the wrecker, I started her up and had oil pressure again. It had about an hour and a half to cool down by the time I was home and restarted it. Tonight when I get home from work I will 1) check the oil, 2) start it up, 3) check oil pressure and if it has oil pressure, 4) let it warm up and see what it does. If it has oil pressure when cold, but not when warm, what could be the problem? I am hoping it is only a sending unit or some minor glitch. The car has 195k, but it has a fresh oil change every 3k. The motor is in good shape just tuned. Any ideas? Thanks

don

I would suspect that the connection on your sender is loose.
Ten minutes with zero oil pressure (or even just <7lbs, would trash your motor.
You would have some nasty noises coming from it by now.

Nick

i had that problem for awhile, it was accompanied by a CEL, and my TPS going to pot.. it was a wire near the firewall.. i couldnt find it, and had to have the firestone d00ds take care of it...

My 94 had the same problem when I first got it.When it got good and warmed up the oil pressure would dissapear but no engine noise whatsoever. I replaced the motor with about 100k less on it and did an autopsy on the old engine and found the cam bearings slap wore out, rod and main bearings were still decent. If your cam bearings went 195k you are one of the fortunate few.

where is the oil pressure sender located?

You'd think I'd know by now as much work as I've done under there!! :D Where is that puppy??

Back