Intake baffle plate........

ecyrbh

Has anyone ever removed and replaced the baffle(splash) plate on the bottom of the intake? I want to take mine off and clean the inside and re-install it.How are the rivets held in? Does it have to be riveted back on or can it be tapped and screwed back on? Please help,I just want this engine dirt and grime free(anal that way....)

theres a how-to on mn21performance.com on how to remove it totally. they weled the plate back on there. might give u an idea of what u wanna do.

i dont think it would really be worth all that, IMO.

I dont want to totally remove it, I just want to clean underneath.I keep getting residue out when I spray inside with cleaner......

I never had the plate off, really see no reason to do so. It is just a splash shield to keep hot oil off the bottom on the intake. I would be concerned about reattachment after it was removed. If you screwed it back on or used some form of bolt or cap screw. I would be concerned that somewhere down the road it would back out and fall into the engine. Im fairly sure thats why the factory used rivets. As for welding The plate is steel, and after 35 years of welding I still havent master the art of welding steel to alum. You would be better just leaving it alone

Ken

Last edited:
The rivets have twist in them to hold them in place. You can use a screwdriver and slowly pry them up. You may need a little help from a hammer also. Once you have removed them you most like have to flaten the splash shield back out. Now you can clean under the splash shield, especially if you have had the intake cleaned by a bead blaster. Place the splash shield back and use a large hammer to reset the rivets.

I would use a permant threadlocker on it in addition just to be sure they dont back out after tapping them out

Ken

there is nothing behind the tray but the vee i made atray that i welded post umder manifold to mount it holds a second heat oil sheild 1 inch lower than the stocker it keeps heat off the manifold better than ther stocker .

i used fine thread bolts and liberal amounts of thread locker

the stock oil baffle is not really a good one but better than no baffle

Thanks for the help guys,I wouldnt be pulling it off except for the fact that I keep getting gunk/deposits out of it. Anyone else done it?......Chime in.......

Thanks for the help guys,I wouldnt be pulling it off except for the fact that I keep getting gunk/deposits out of it. Anyone else done it?......Chime in.......

I'd be more concerned on how the gunk etc is forming. When I had the intake out, that thing was shiny clean even after 185000 original km's on it.

I'd be more concerned on how the gunk etc is forming. When I had the intake out, that thing was shiny clean even after 185000 original km's on it.

My guess about all the gunk was lack of maintenance,ODO showed 107K when I got the car.When my father in law bought it in 99 it showed the same 107K.He blew the HG's and drove it for a while with rad cap loose thinking nothing was serious,then parked it in Aug of 01.Now I have this and rebuilding the engine to boot.Cleanliness is of utmost importance to me.I'm going to try the dremel tool trick this weekend,if I dont have any success,I do have another manifold to use,But I've already got many hours porting and gasket matching on this one.I have been soaking it in a 5 gal pail of Berryman Chem-Dip and pressure washing etc., but still getting gunk...........

Well,the Dremel tool worked.Broke off 3,removed 3.No problem though,just used a left hand twist drill bit and they came right out.Drilled and tapped the holes for 10-32 screws and used red Loctite.Glad I did this because of all the sludge that was underneath.Worked out well.Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!

Back