Power Steering Pump Cover is loose

rickbtbird

It’s beginning to look like I'll have to pull the left side off again on my 95SC because I think my power steering pump cover is loose. I don’t think it’s going to hold any fluid the way it is. Geeze, I just go all accessorize brackets and the belts back on and I didn't even get to start it when I noticed it. You think I might have to rebuild it or maybe the cover just popped off during reassembly?

I would reseal it. There is an o-ring kit available from Ford to reseal it and several other different models. It was not very expensive either. Check with Fast Ed, if he can't find the # let me know and I will dig out the one I have here some where.

Lets see, I'll have to removed the IC tube, Alternator, Coil and then I should be able to get at the pump if I unbolt the bracket. Do I have to remove the pump from the bracket?

Ok I got the pump off but it's still installed on the bracket. I removed the EVO outlet fitting (which appeared to not be on very tight) and then removed the reservoir. There was a buildup of water around the reservoir where it mates with the seal. The seal looks good except it seem a bit flat but I guess it’s supposed to be that way. I cleaned it all up and reassembled it and the reservoir is still slightly loose. It's not as bad as it was before and I don't think it's going to leak. So here are my options:
  • Get a new reservoir and seal and install that one
  • Take the pump to AutoZone and have it replaced on the bracket
  • Use what I've got and hope it doesn't leak.
:confused:

if you find just the right size O-ring ,it should snug it up pretty good and should'nt leak ,i've got an O-ring kit ,it's a box with many different size's ,
this is how i fixed mine ,worked out good

cheers

The o-ring is not supposed to be flat. I dont think that the o-ring you are looking for is going to be in the set that cbt was refering to. Did you check on the o-ring kit from Ford? It has all of the o-rings required to reseal the pump and also the seal for the snout.

Yeah, a flat o-ring means the o-ring is worn out and been flattened. Been surprised by that myself a few times thinking I need a square cut round seal, and end up finding a big o-ring in the box.

Ok I'm going to get a new O ring and put it all back together. I have yet another question. Where the outlet fitting blots up to the pressure line, there's what use to look like a nylon washer. Does that come in the kit as well because the one that was on there was demolished beyond repair?

I do not recall if the teflon o-rings were included. I do know that there was a thread in the last three months that was refering to those teflon rings.

you really shouldnt have to worry about it leaking the pressure is in the pump not in the plastic container mine is loose and doesnt leak matter of fact I havent been around a ford that doesnt have a loose one (not really wiggly loose though) the only thing holding it on is the high pressure port fitting on the side of the pump

Back