Detailed Instructions please.....

MikeM

I will be receiving an accumulator from Prior Reman, and I need to know detailed instructions on the re and re. One thing that I need to know is, should I oil the threads on the new accumulator before I install it?

Thanx in advance,

-Mike

Here's what you do.
Key off, pump brake pedal 20 times to relieve pressure. Remove wiper blades and loosen plastic cowling on driver side. Stuff paper towels under the HCU to catch brake fluid. Using a 8mm hex socket, remove the old accumulator.
Install new accumulator; tighten with a strap wrench or wrench head which fits the base of the new accumulator. Sometime it take a little engenuity. You don't need to oil the threads; there'll be plenty of fluid in the orifice.
Thats about it. Bleeding the brakes isn't necessary, but probably not a bad idea.

Regarding the wiper cowl suggestion:
Do it, since you'll be trying to fit the accumulator between the wiper cowl and the engine bay. Watch out that you don't bend the plastic. Also, I've hand tightened all the accumulators I've installed (2) and have had no problems. The torque spec isn't high enough to worry about tightening with a belt wrench.
Late!
------Dylan

Make sure you have a new O-Ring for the nipple (Prior units come with one) and it is a good idea to lube the threads with a little clean brake fluid. No need to bleed the system after install, but check the fluid level after replacement and refill the reservoir as needed. Put the old accumulator in a place where it can drain. I used an old coffee can, the old unit holds a good bit of fluid and will drip for days......

Back