clutch leaking

qc89SC

at the first day i bough my SC i lost my clutch(no luck) since i work a lot didnt had the time to really look at it the only thing i saw is the clutch fluid under the bellhousing and a guys in newbie forum said that the clutch slave cylinder is in the bellhousing the question is , what kind of fluid is in my clutch is it DOT3 or is it something else?? and second how cost an OEM slave cylinder and,or can i have a better performing aftermarket one to be sure that this problem never happens again. and if i put the trans down i will buy a new clutch even is the old is good so what is a good perfomance aftermarket clutch??? and who sell good crank seal?i forgot do a lightweight flywheel worth what it cost???

Last edited:
The slave cylinder is inside the bell housing unfortunately, so that means dropping the trans. Sometimes, more in cold weather, the seals in the slave will cause the fluid to occationally dump (happenend to me several times in my '93). So you might try just filling and bleeding the clutch system first. The fluid is just regular DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. If you don't have a lot of mods I'd just go with a LUK oem replacement clutch kit from a local auto supply store. If you get the 'gold' kit it contains everything except for the slave cylinder, which you will have to shop around for at auto parts stores and maybe even Ford. Don't forget to also have the flywheel cut or look around for a cheap replacement and, yes definitely do the rear crank seal while you're in there.

Slave cylinders for this car are easy to find - check any autoparts store. Mine was leaking and I got it (a Luk) at Pepboys for ~$80. I also replaced the clutch with an OEM Luk clutch kit that didn't have the slave included. If you are doing the slave you must drop the tranny so consider replacing the clutch pressure plate, friction disc, pilot bearing, and release bearing (all in the kit). I also did the rear main oil seal since it is so easily accessible with the flywheel off. You also want to refinish the flywheel so it is true. Mine looked fine until we took it to a machine shop and they measured the run-out. Once the slave starts leaking it will only get worse - so replace it now.

do the clutch bleed by gravity????

yeah...??? does it bleed by gravity someone said that to me

You might try to clean it all up with Brake Cleaner, then get some Desinex (or cheap equivalent) Foot Powder.
After you get it all cleaned up, spray the Desinex powder on your clutch line specifically where it plugs up to the tranny. Where the powder gets wet is your leak, at the source.

There is a small o-ring that was leaking on mine, but I knew it wasn't the slave because it was new.
Replaced the o-ring, no more leaky.

There is a bleed nipple right where that fluid line enters the side of the bell housing.

Back