Engine Stands

rickbtbird

I just purchased an 89 SC engine here locally with the blower. It’s supposed to be from a wrecked super coupe with about 48k on it. Not that I care if it even runs, I just wanted one for parts and technical review purposes. It was cheep so I'm not expecting much.
** So I'm going to need a stand **
Can someone please recommend a stand that I can use for assembly and disassembly and what weight capacity do I need?

Personally I would go one that's in a Shape of a `U' for the legs.. instead of `T' shaped ones

I just find the U shape ones are more stable Personally..

I bought the upgraded U-shaped stand from Harbour Freight for around $75 or so (I think they go on sale sometimes for less). I agree that the 4-wheeled one is more stable than the 3-wheeler. I originally bought it to hang a 440 Magnum, and it handled it with no problem. It'll certainly handle an SC engine with nooooo problems.

JD

Harbor Freight Has Some Decent Ones For Cheap And The Cheapest One Holds 500 Lbs And Cost Around $50

Thanks for the information and I'll consider the U shaped stand. Is 500lbs enough capacity for an SC motor with all the accessories and brackets?

I bought the upgraded U-shaped stand from Harbour Freight for around $75 or so (I think they go on sale sometimes for less). I agree that the 4-wheeled one is more stable than the 3-wheeler. I originally bought it to hang a 440 Magnum, and it handled it with no problem. It'll certainly handle an SC engine with nooooo problems.

JD

I also have the upgraded U-shaped stand. Beside being stable, I like the fact I can lay a standard drip pan on the U.

dont know if there is one around but I paid $35 and change for the u shaped one from advance auto parts just had to put it together real nice one too with a pin lock for engine rotation

Thanks for all the replies. I'll ask this a different way. How much does a fully assembled SC engine weigh?

they show 4

750 POUND CAPACITY ENGINE STAND $39.99 ,should hold a small block v8 easy on a flat floor ,the next one is a bit more stable

1000 POUND CAPACITY ENGINE STAND $54.99 :) ,i use one of these also..
works well

either of these are fine
from the above mentioned store .

the other 2 are 109.99 ,unless you could catch one of these on sale, 2000cap
there built :D
you be the judge when you go pick it up

motor wt. ,guessing 450 or so

cheers
steve

Last edited:
Ok I picked up the engine and a u shaped folding engine stand yesterday. After fully assembling the stand I used my engine hoist to removed the engine from the back of the truck and tried to mount it on the stand. It took a few attempts to get this done but I finally got it.
  1. I had to attach the univerisal bracket that attaches to the back of the engine first.
  2. Lower the engine so the spindle was semi lined up with the stand.
  3. Then I had to raise the legs of the folding stand and I picked up the back of the stand and mounted it onto the spindle.
  4. Lower the legs and reinstall the pins.
  5. Lower the motor to take the pressure off the hoist and put puressure on the stand.

Last edited:
Ok I picked up the engine and a u shaped folding engine stand yesterday. After fully assembling the stand I used my engine hoist to removed the engine from the back of the truck and tried to mount it on the stand. It took a few attempts to get this done but I finally got it.
  1. I had to attach the univerisal bracket that attaches to the back of the engine first.
  2. Lower the engine so the spindle was semi lined up with the stand.
  3. Then I had to raise the legs of the folding stand and I picked up the back of the stand and mounted it onto the spindle.
  4. Lower the legs and reinstall the pins.
  5. Lower the motor to take the pressure off the hoist and put puressure on the stand.
I don't have the folding version, but that's basically the procedure I use.

I just bought the 750lb stand at Harbor Frieght two weeks ago. Used a coupon and got it for $35. I hate to support that place, but find me another engine stand that's NOT made in china for anything around that price. And no, a tire doesn't count.

Anyway, it works good. Feels a tad heavy on the stand so I wouldn't buy the 500# version.

Nice craftsman garage door opener!:D

LOL, yea that one just replaced the Genie that was on the other side of the garage (two car garage) The doors had shot pulleys which caused it ripped the gears right out of the unit. I could have prevented it with less then $20.00 in pulleys. Oh well live and learn.

The new unit is only two month old. Already, Sears had to come out and replace the gear drive in it because it was shaking the entire house when it was moving the door in either direction. Fregin "Close-out Sale" my eye. If they don't get it right I'm taking it back and getting a belt drive unit (which I should have done in the first place).

Back