Cooling Fan Blues

rbrown

Ok I've searched. Looked at various other threads.

Cooling fan does not come on with A/C on or temperature.
Can force fan on high with jumpers and by removing the Temp Sensor connector on the heater hose.

The fan has 3 pins. I know one is ground and I assume one is high and one is low power in. When hot wired, I only get one speed, high. The center pin (low speed?) does not respond. I'm guessing that this means the fan is dead on low speed.

Is low speed the speed the fan comes on for the A/C and high comes on if it gets too hot and needs to cool it down? If so then I guess I found my problem.

Changed IRCM out. No differences.

Now the pusher fan has been dead. We are not discussing that here. It is frozen and I have a replacement. But I need to know what I am looking for on the puller fan.

Have you tried replacing the temp sender that you disconnected? If it works with the sender unplugged, but not plugged, I would assume that the sender has gone south.

Hello Patrick. No I have not.

And I went by the Ford manual on jumping the ICRM connector. It says to test the low speed setting, so I guess that tells me that low is what is supposed to come on when the A/C is on.
-- End result on Pinpoint test H: Service Circuit 181 (BR/O) for open circuit.{High speed}
or
-- End result on Pinpoint test H: Replace cooling fan motor {Low speed}

That was the ICRM I used. It was odd that it had a 1998 date code on it...

But yeah I guess I will go see if I can find a fan. I just bought the pusher, but need the main one. Black car too hot with A/C.

If you jump 12v to to 2 of the 3 pins and only one kicks the fan on, then yes, the other winding must be burned out.

Yes, it is the low speed fan that the a/c turns on.

I have the new motor in hand.

And while I was picking it up someone tried to break into my LX in the parking lot. Jacked the door lock but did not open it. If they had they would have found a brand new DSLR Camera with telephoto lens and a couple DS Gameboys amoungst the rubble in the car. Small miracles.

FYI if the temp sensor had gone south on you, you car probably would not run or not very well if it did. The EEC uses that sensor so it knows what to do with fuel and air etc, and when the fans come on, as its the EEC that sends the signal to the IRCM for the fans.

The fan has 3 pins. I know one is ground and I assume one is high and one is low power in. When hot wired, I only get one speed, high. The center pin (low speed?) does not respond. I'm guessing that this means the fan is dead on low speed.
Yes. You need to swap out the fan. An IRCM can't fix it. Your A/C runs the low speed fan and you need it to prevent overpressure at the condenser and the possible blowout of refrigerant :eek: ... DO NOT RUN THE A/C until you get it fixed. :cool:

FYI if the temp sensor had gone south on you, you car probably would not run or not very well if it did. The EEC uses that sensor so it knows what to do with fuel and air etc, and when the fans come on, as its the EEC that sends the signal to the IRCM for the fans.

My understanding is that the car will run fine without the Temp sensor, but the high speed fan runs, and the car will typically idle higher and burn more gas because it is in a cold engine run mode. If that's not right, please correct.

Back