Cats or No cats?????

aplvlydrtybird

I am planning on getting an exhaust system and its going to be the same design but it will be 2 1/2 in pipes to 3 in into magnaflow resinator back out to 3 in and then splits off into 2 1/2 " again to magnaflow mufflers. its the same exhaust design for a 91 t-bird sc (my car) and i was wondering what it will do if i have no cats...will it mess up the comp and/or will i lose torque?????? I do plan to have the manifolds ported as well or should i not do that???? well thanks again!!!

If you are in a state where there is no emissions, REMOVE THE CATS!!!!!!!!! They are disgustingly restrictive and will eventually be a factor in the blowing of your head gaskets. It wont mess up the computer, but it will send a few foot pounds of torque out the window, but its definitely worth it to open the exhaust and let the motor breathe, and definitely port the exhaust manifolds. You can get those few foot pounds of torque back by adding an overdrive pulley for the blower, but ONLY after youve done the exhaust. If your interested, I have a BRAND NEW exhaust system for a 91 sc, 2 1/2 to 3 to 2 1/2 out the back. It has a magnaflow resonator and two dynamax muffs. I'm askin 700 plus shipping, and that's cheaper than the clubs price. I bought it to put on my 91, but I got an 89 5spd, and it came with the big dawg exhaust on it, so the 91 system is for sale. Interested??:cool: My E-mail address is thunderbirdsc91@aol.com

Danny

Last edited:
i like fast cars...but

i'd personally keep some kind of catalytic converter on your exhaust. dynomax makes extremely high flo cats that definately do not cause anywhere as much backpressure or restriction as the basic 'quick cheap and easy' factory Ford cats on your car. Again, if your looking for performance gain, go for it, but with my background in environmental studies / environmental sciences regarding emissions i'd keep a convertor on my car even if it wasn't required. That's one of the reasons i bought my sc...fast, quick, and awesome gas mileage in comparison to most big displacement V8's (5.7L LT's come to mind). Again, just my opinion.
------Dylan

With the new exhaust you will notice a increase in power overall, but a slight drop in low end and a drop in your boost reading. This is because the engine is not being restriced now. You can now add a overdrive pulley to the supercharger to bring the boost pressure back up, and you will see even more over all power, and the loss to low end will be gone. Good high flow cats will not hurt you more than 2-3 hp.

Back