tps volt please help:(

blownbird2

alrite i have a weird idle problem it likes to jump to 1500 and some times higher and i smack the pedal hard for a sec and rev it up to about 3000 or so and it drops but sometimes i just turn the car off and walk away i get so fed up with it im tired of abusing my car for nothing and wasting gas:confused: i feel like i have a carburetor i keep reading about testing the tps voltage but i cant find how to do it??

thanks
matt

alrite i have a weird idle problem it likes to jump to 1500 and some times higher and i smack the pedal hard for a sec and rev it up to about 3000 or so and it drops but sometimes i just turn the car off and walk away i get so fed up with it im tired of abusing my car for nothing and wasting gas:confused: i feel like i have a carburetor i keep reading about testing the tps voltage but i cant find how to do it??

thanks
matt

tps voltage should be around .98 with key on engine off. The TPS is on the throttle body

That's an idle air control valve problem. The solenoid opens the airway to allow more air into the engine. It should only rev this high on its own if it's in EEC self-test mode. -in other words, the IAC should only open this far when the car is in self-test mode (retrieving codes)

In my experience, TPS problems lead to bad idling (slow, stumbling, not running)

I agree with Dr.Fish, sounds like a sticking IAB/IAC valve on the side of the throttle body. You can try taking it off and cleaning it with spray electrical cleaner or a very soft toothbrush, but normally the bellows material just rots out and you have to replace it.

Back