PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer Not working ?? VSS vs. OSS Sensors ??

Ddubb
08-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Okay .. so the Speedometer isnt working, obviously.

I just re-pinned the harness from my 1994 SC with an Automatic to use the Manual transmission.

So I wired up the Output Shaft sensor on the Vehicle side of the harness to the wires that go to the Speedometer gear.

I cant find the information in my EVTM's or Service manual, for the speedo on the Manual SC ..

My question is, is the sensor on the Manual transmission with the speedo gear considered a Vehicle Speed Sensor ?? OR is it just an Output Shaft Sensor ? Should I re-pin the harness to the VSS instead of the OSS ?

- Dan

Ddubb
08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Does anybody know how the speedometer gets a signal on a Manual SC ???

- Dan

x182dan
08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Does anybody know how the speedometer gets a signal on a Manual SC ???

- Dan

same way an automatic does via the little gear in the side of the tranny. They are both two wires so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Find out what the two wires for the automatic go to and just put the two wires from the manual tranny in that spot. I got the speedo to work on my sc when i went from 4r70w to AOD. gn/w & bk/w I believe are the 5spd wires for the speed sensor

Vehicle speed sensor is what controls your speedo on all sc trannys.

Ddubb
08-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Yeah .. the Automatic 4r70w has a Vehicle Speed Sensor and the Output shaft sensor. I have the speedo gear wires hooked up to the Output shaft sensor wires on the 4r70w harness .. so thats why Im wondering if they are supposed to go to the VSS wires on the harness .. cant find any real information in the EVTM or the Shop manual.

- Dan

x182dan
08-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah .. the Automatic 4r70w has a Vehicle Speed Sensor and the Output shaft sensor. I have the speedo gear wires hooked up to the Output shaft sensor wires on the 4r70w harness .. so thats why Im wondering if they are supposed to go to the VSS wires on the harness .. cant find any real information in the EVTM or the Shop manual.

- Dan

why not have the VSS wires from the 5spd tranny hooked up the to existing vss wires from the automatic?

Duffy Floyd
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
The speedometer uses the VSS signal to operate correctly for both the manual and auto versions.

Ddubb
08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Yeah I was just confused because the EVTM manual I am reading under the VSS circuitry says ( automatic only ) .. and there are NO wiring diagrams for the Manual transmission at all. I have the PNP, Reverse, and Clutch circuits all working correctly .. its just the speedo now. So apparently the Output shaft sensor, on the automatic, is a Vehicle Speed sensor on the Manual. They look exactly the same, and the wiring colors match up for the OSS, so thats why I used those wires on the factory harness. I'll re-pin the connector and see how that works out. Thanks for the information. :D

- Dan