Exhaust FAQ

Seuss

I see questions regularly on exhaust setups/recommendations, so was wondering if we could get this information gathered in the FAQ forum.

Which parts to replace 1st (starting with resonator, I assume) budget-mild-wild

What pipe size to use based on expected HP (at what power level you need to go larger than stock diameter)

Advantages/disadvantages of going true dual, deleting cats, deleting mufflers, deleting resonator, X-pipe, etc

General tips/tricks/suggestions, such as reducing or eliminating drone, ground clearance, input/output sizes, personal recommendations for sound, fit, and value.

I will let you know how dumped SCP Long-Tube headers sound. My view is that a V6 will never sound "good" so why not go for the HP/TQ, If I dont like straight headers I'll try headers/stock mid section/no mufflers

IF straight headers actually did anything on these cars....don't you think more people would be using that set up at the track? Stan proved way back in the day that straight headers were only worth about 4 HP over a full system...which means you would be gaining more performance from the lack of say 80lbs worth of exhaust than the 4 HP you might pick up.

As for the sound....uh, it's pretty bad. You know the sound of a fart can equipped Honda? Well, that is pure bliss compared to the nastiness of straight headers on a SC! (and yes, I had a straight header exhaust for about 3 months)

i remember taking my car for a little spin after i put my mid lenght headers on. it sounded like a very loud tractor with a honda chasing it.

budget is replace everything from manifolds to back half of exhaust 2 1/4 in 2 1/2 single out resonator.

The rest of teh info you can find using a search..We all musta been through this one a hundred or so times.

I had took out my cats and resonator and replace it with an h pipe going into a single pipe(wa sgoing to make duals later)into stock backhalf. Sounded a lil raspy not all that bad.

My buddy did the same but instead of H pipe used a single 2.5 inch cat. Was quiet and cheap

My two do it cheap scenarios

i remember taking my car for a little spin after i put my mid lenght headers on. it sounded like a very loud tractor with a honda chasing it.

couldnt say who would win that race... i think the tractor would win, cus he has bigger rims.... and came from the factory with lime green paint... :)

budget is replace everything from manifolds to back half of exhaust 2 1/4 in 2 1/2 single out resonator.

The rest of teh info you can find using a search..We all musta been through this one a hundred or so times.

I had took out my cats and resonator and replace it with an h pipe going into a single pipe(wa sgoing to make duals later)into stock backhalf. Sounded a lil raspy not all that bad.

My buddy did the same but instead of H pipe used a single 2.5 inch cat. Was quiet and cheap

My two do it cheap scenarios

That is the point. This info is available through search in hundreds of threads. If the question gets asked that often, why not make it into a 1 thread FAQ post?

Back