Transmisson problems... will not go into Reverse.

mn12sc35th

The AOD in my base bird is acting up. It developed a leak from the front about a year ago, and I've just kept adding to it every once in a while when it starts slipping. I've been trying hard not to have to pull it :p

Today, trying to leave work, I cannot get it into either Reverse or Neutral. Park seems to act fine (couldn't push the car, didn't move under it's own power), Reverse acted just like park, and everything else tried to move forward. Ran fine (with some slippage, I did add more fluid this morning) last night going to work.

Is there something simple that could cause this? The car was in a pull in parking slot with a very big median, so it's stuck at the moment. Short of unhooking the driveshaft and rolling it back, I'm not sure what to do.

I have access to a good used trans from a 5.0 from a buddy who bought the motor/tranny but doesn't want to use an auto. It hs been sitting for 6-8 months though, so aside from a filter and fluid, should there be anything to look for? I will probably go ahead and put in a new front seal to be safe as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Get a floor jack and jack up the rear of the car and pull it out so you can at least drive it......

I have come to the conclsion that when my AODs finally go out (and I don't have any more from my parts cars :rolleyes:) I will go buy a Lentech and never have to worry about it again.....

You might want to try a bottle of Lucas....

I have had pretty good luck with it.....

Have you had a chance to check your trans linkage, yet.....

When mine wouldn't go into reverse, it also wouldn't shift out of 1st. The tranny had to be rebuilt. You can check the fluid level, check the TV cable operation, and adjust the shifter and thats about it w/o pulling it apart.

If you drain it, you can remove the pan and inspect it for metal debris. If you find anything more than a very small amount of silt, it will need to be pulled. I could suggest removing the valve body and inspecting it as well, but read up on how to reinstall it later.

If you adjust the shifter, get under and pry the cable off the shift lever on the transmission itself, and move the lever back and forth by hand. You should count 5 clicks backwards, and 5 clicks forward. Reconnect the shift cable with it all the way forward. Loosen the cable bracket nut at the bottom of the trans, make sure the shifter is in "P" then tighten the cable bracket nut so that the cable is taut. Thats about all you can do with that.

Now I don't know why I didn't think of jacking the back up and dragging it out, I keep a floor jack in it (lost my original jack :p). But, I had it towed back to the house and will look at it more this evening. Oddly though, when we put it in neutral this morning it rolled no problem. Still only moves forward though. I've got a good used trans to put in it's place if it's more than something simple like the linkage or the TV cable.

But, I had it towed back to the house and will look at it more this evening.
If they didn''t disconnect the driveshaft or tow from the back, or tow on a flat bed, or tow with the rear wheels off the ground, and it was more than about 5 miles, you'll soon have that chance to install the spare. :cool:

"Oddly though, when we put it in neutral this morning it rolled no problem."

You missed that part :D I wouldn't have tried to drag it unless it was the last option.

Ok, I got the sucker up in the air, and got to playing with the shift linkage. It was originally all the way forward (which I assumed was Park), and I do get 5 clicks. I started it, with the shifter unhooked, and knocked the arm down a notch (to reverse). The right rear wheel started to spin in what appeared to be the right direction and then stopped (this is an open axle car). I clicked it back into park, and it spun the opposite direction then stopped, plus it made some wierd noises. I cut it off at that point. So.... is it fried?

It was originally all the way forward (which I assumed was Park), and I do get 5 clicks.
Yup.

I started it, with the shifter unhooked, and knocked the arm down a notch (to reverse). The right rear wheel started to spin in what appeared to be the right direction and then stopped (this is an open axle car).
That would be consistent with low fluid.

I clicked it back into park, and it spun the opposite direction then stopped, plus it made some wierd noises. I cut it off at that point. So.... is it fried?
The wierd noises could be due to the fact that is was spinning freely and suddenly stopped. Like a fast clicking/buzzing.. that would be the parking pawl riding on top of the ring gear until it settles. But from there, after a brief bounce in the opposite direction, the driveshaft should stop cold.. the wheel spin in the opposite direction is likely due to the open end and the inertia of the wheel.

I cut it off at that point. So.... is it fried?
I would try hooking the shifter back up, change the gear lever and check each position. Then run it a bit, check the fluid level, and try it inside the car. Use the brakes to stop the wheels before changing gears then listen for strange noises. If it misbehaves, or won't shift, its time to take it apart.

SAFETY first.. chock the wheels on the ground securely and support the back with sturdy stands. :cool:

Well at least the noise was normal, that kinda freaked me out at first.

The fluid may very well be low, as the damn thing leaks from the front somewhere, which makes me think I should pull it anyway and fix this. I did add fluid to it the other morning, but between the puddle it left at work and the new one in my driveway....

I'll give it a shot and see where I go from here. Thanks!

Alright after much ride begging (I hate being carless...), I'm back to playing with this thing. I went ahead and drained the fluid, changed out the filter and such, as I know it's past due for one, and I figured cleaning that up would help find a leak.

I'm sitting here running it, and the only place I can find any leakage is at the radiator. Now this car is on far from a level ground and the front is held a little further up. If it were leaking from the front seal, would it do it on a slope like this?

As for the cooler, I did install a new radiator 4-5 months ago, and there was no mention of any kind of sealent on the radiator lines. Would it be feasible to teflon tape the fitting?

Back