PDA

View Full Version : Stock 90 ic temps

NightMare3.8
08-10-2007, 09:43 AM
hey everyone just woundering what the stock tubes and super charger top should be in a 90 sc? after i drive the hog for about 10 mins the temp likes to soar to the R on norm and then the fan kicks in and it stays about there sometimes if im lucky it will drop to maybe the N O area...guna get the tstat replaced with a 180 and see if that helps out..got the rad flushed about a month ago and that never helped either. Also i took my odonel temp gun that i use for my RC vehicles and got a temp of the ic tubes cause when ya open that hood the heat just seems to hit ya like a brick wall SC top was 150*F and the tubes at the ic were on top- 135* bottom was 120*!! dont know if thats really good air for the motor is it??

fturner
08-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Is it the low speed fan kicking in or is it the high speed?

Does the fan come on when you turn your a/c on?

A 180 ain't gonna help you here, and more than likely will cause your car to run hotter if you don't lower the fan on temps.

NightMare3.8
08-10-2007, 07:33 PM
where is the low speed fan??? i had to replace the big fan behind the radiator awhile back and it worked after that just fine. if your talking about an intercooler fan.. i have none

fturner
08-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I'm talking the big fan, which is a two speed fan. There's a low speed mode which kicks on when the car gets to 220F and then there's a high speed mode which kicks on at 228F.

A way to make sure low speed is working is to turn the a/c on which kicks on the low speed mode. If the a/c comes on but no fan, then usually than means a problem with the IRCM which is located at the front of the air box on the pax side.

Some folks (NOT the correct thing to do) cut a wire at the IRCM to get the fan to work, or wire in a switch to run the fan (again NOT the correct thing to do).

NightMare3.8
08-12-2007, 04:23 PM
ok i checked the low speed fan and it does come on when the ac is turned on.. but i also have a huge idle problem when i turn it on it wants to go real low for a few secounds then pick back up again for a few then go back down? my vac when it is at rough idle is around 12 or 13. is this a vac leak or is somethin like a pickup sensor for the ac?

Merlon
08-12-2007, 04:36 PM
makes the LS fan run all the time. this helps keep temps from ever reaching over O,
of course the fan motors life will be cut short, but would you rather replace a fan motor, and HGs...hmm, one thing to note, is this wont help unless your seeing the temp needle go up while idleing, or cruising.

to help with the hot car, and its really not even out of normal operating temps by the way, i replaced the 50/50 coolant with a mixture of purple ice, and water, and 40% coolant. i live in cali, so no need to worry about freezing.

i purchased a Gm air dam because mine was long gone, check to see if you still have one, this helps over 40mph. and is $20

I still have a stock tstat, and usually run under N unless im boostin for long periods of time. (thats with an ic fan and 5% overdrive pulley)

You should also tell us wheather this is happening when your driving or at idle.

if you dont use your ac, take it out. the heat exhanger is blocking some air flow to your radiator. Also, you should make sure you have enough pressure. have you replaced your radiator cap recently?

note: normal vaccum should be closer to 20.

NightMare3.8
08-12-2007, 04:50 PM
while im cruising the temp will reach the R in no time. where can i find this # 14 wire at?? i have a 1990 auto.. and if we cut this will it run only when the key is flipped forward or backward also.. the reason i ask is cause i listen to alot music in my car with the key backwards... thanks

Merlon
08-12-2007, 08:40 PM
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61768

this should give you what you need...also the wires are numbered on the ircm...

its located near the air filter...a little box behind the passenger side headlight...with a million wires coming out of it.

NightMare3.8
08-12-2007, 08:54 PM
how would i go about removing that?? just pul the whole box till it pops out or is there a difference

fturner
08-12-2007, 09:05 PM
If your going to cut that wire like that, then do a search on how to do a proper wire setup. If you get hot enough to need the high speed, your in big trouble, as both fan windings will be energized, which will #1 cause a huge amp draw, #2, the fan will run slower than slow speed because both windings are actually fighting each other, which in turn your temperature will keep rising as now you have a half speed fan trying to cool the motor.

Also, if you happen to get into cool weather, then your going to end up running pig rich if the car doesn't get to operating temperature.

As for the idle, that looks like a common issue with an IAC thats getting old and tired.