K&N panel filter VS Cone filter

kenewagner

I have a K&N panel filter currently on the car. My tuner felt a cone style filter might be a better choice than a panel style. For a high boost application, (18 lbs or better) What are you guys, out there, opinions on filters. Does one or the other perform better? Is a panel filter a restriction on a high boost car?

Ken

A properly sized cone should outflow a panel filter. The best way to size your filter is to see if you can find the CFM ratings of the filter and then select accordingly.

Check the K&N site for specs on flow numbers. The panel filter not only has less surface area then a good cone it makes the air take a right angle to get into the maf.

You can get a good cone and get air piping put together for under $100.

I'd highly recommend a filter with and inverted top. They look like similar to this

invertedtopuniv.jpg

The cone filter should have a greater volumetric air flow rate but an important factor is the temperature of the air. If you are sucking in hot air from your engine compartment the air will be less dense and the mass flow rate will be less than if you partitioned off the filter and draw in only colder air from outside the engine compartment. The panel filter has that advantage if you use the stock setup.

Back