Aftermarket Autometer Oil Press. Gauge

littleboylan

Now I searched and searched, but couldnt find the answer I needed.

What Im trying to figure out is, if I unscrew the original sender, will I need to drain oil out of the car before removal?

Im just not trying to cover everything with oil, if I dont have too.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Oil will come out, but you won't need to drain it all. you could find issues fitting the sender in there depending on the factory fitting you have. The sender for an electric pressure sensor is much larger than the stock setup. you may need to clearance the accessory bracket on that side.

Thanks for the reply Mike, I was assuming Id get some oil out of it, just wasnt sure as to the amount that would come out.

Im going to fit it in there tonight and see what happens.

Thanks Mike

Ok, everything is hooked up and working. I just have a couple questions about Oil Pressure readings...

Cold Startup Idle - 93 psi.

Warm Idle - 50 psi

Warm Cruising - 87 psi

Any thoughts on these pressures??

Thanks Mike

Seems a little high. Has it done that for a while? Oil filter still attached? I wonder if some air got in there from when you installed it.

I thought it seemed high too.

The oil filter is still on there, and I just installed it last night.

How would I go about removing air from it?

Thanks Mike

Seems a little high. Has it done that for a while? Oil filter still attached? I wonder if some air got in there from when you installed it.

Wouldn't air in the line cause the gauge to read low? Air is compressible and oil isn't? :confused:

Im not sure what the deal is. Im assuming its been reading this way for a while, but as I said earlier I just installed this gauge. Car runs good, doesnt seem to be any issues.

By the way I am running Mobil 1 10-30.

Also, Im not gonna start the car, and wiggle my arm in between the belts and loosen the sender. I dont really feel like losing an arm :eek:

Sort of at a loss here.

Thanks Mike

Pull the two harness connectors off at the passenger side of the motor by where there relays are. Then crank the motor over with the sender out. Lay a towel in there, it'll squirt out pretty heavy once it primes.

Then put the sender back in.

I was just pulling straws out of my ~~~ when I said perhaps air as that's the only thing I could think of. The only time I've heard of super high oil pressure has been when the oil pump is replaced and someone doesn't get all the parts of the old relief valve out of there. Basically jamming the pump up to full pressure.

Other issue could be too tight of clearance in the main bearings or wrong weight oil.

Also, Im not gonna start the car, and wiggle my arm in between the belts and loosen the sender. I dont really feel like losing an arm :eek:

Sorry I should have been more specific.Remove you're accessory drive serp. belt start the car the try loosening it until it leaks then retighten it.You're car should only have to run for a sec to get oil to come out of the sending port.So not driving you're alt,ps pump and water pump for a sec shouldn't cause any problems.

jay

Back