PDA

View Full Version : Dash Vent

fixmysc
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Hi Folks;
I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the little vent to the left of the JBL stereo is. This is on a '95 with the JBL premium system. I got so curious as to pull the dash panel off, and found there was a hollow tube leading from that 'vent-like' structure on the dash. No idea where it goes or what it does!
Thanks,
Art

birds4us
08-11-2007, 12:32 AM
It is for the interior ambient temp sensor for your auto AC.

fixmysc
08-11-2007, 02:45 AM
That's makes total sense now! I thought it was part of the stereo as it says "JBL premium system" underneath it. Finally, I can sleep at night!
Thanks,
Art

taterheadted
11-27-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm a newbie -- just landed a beautiful 92 SC with 60K original miles. Does anyone know where i can purchase an interior ambient air temperature sensor? The only thing not working on the car is the AC and the compressor kicks on and cycles once (producing cold air in the car) but then kicks off. The auto-climate control seems to do everything EXCEPT regulate the temperature in the car.

archerman0531
11-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Might just be low on freon. Once the compressor kicks on the pressure goes down.

taterheadted
11-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I'm planning on putting gauges on tomorrow! I just remember that these sensors went out in a lot of these cars early on and was wondering if they are still available.

archerman0531
11-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Idk. I've never looked for that sensor. I've never had to. My dad had had his cougar for 10+ years, I've had mine for almost a year. No problems with either of our ac systems.

taterheadted
11-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Your first guess appears right! Jumpered the low pressure switch and it does appear to cool a bit, so most likely low on freon. Will wait till spring to charge it up. Car is a blast to drive -- traded some cash and a totally beaten up 1987 TurboCoupe with too many major problems to list (also wrecked twice) for this 1992 SC which has 60K original miles (I know the original owner) and it is in excellent condition. Put belts, hoses, filters, tensioner pulleys, flushed tranny, new PS pump, new cam shaft sensor (thanks to posts on this site about that likely being the problem), new thermostat, and it got 20mpg on first tank even though it spent at least 30 minutes idling in the garage after doing a computer "relearn." What a sweet car!!! I think I have all systems 100% working. Still need to do heater hoses and a master cylinder sometime down the line as it is leaking. Other than that, I think she is near perfect! Time to DRIVE!

tmz93sc
11-28-2013, 02:18 PM
congrats on your new sc. do you plan on keeping it stock? just an fyi if you do one mod it can lead to another and another and so on. any pics?

taterheadted
11-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Hopefully this pic will come through.

slowpoke
11-29-2013, 02:34 AM
very clean looking.

gr8ghost
11-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Don't wait too long on that master cylinder. Brakes need to be good if you are driving it. I personally never had one fail outright but it has happened to some motorists. Does it have the sinking brake pedal?

taterheadted
12-01-2013, 07:36 PM
The pedal is not sinking or she would definitely be on jack stands! The pedal feels very firm, but I have no experience with these types of master cylinders so don't know what they should feel like. There is no fade on hard stops and no pulling. I pulled all the wheels and all pads have 60% or more life left. Rotors in good shape with no warping. The only potential problem is that the master cylinder must leak a "tiny" bit because there are signs of dirt adhering below it. I will clean, watch the level and keep eyes out for new master cylinder. For all I know the last guy spilled some when these pads went on. Are these master cylinders still available/serviceable?

RalphP
12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Are these master cylinders still available/serviceable?

If it's a 1992 SC, it's got the Teves Mk II Integral ABS.

Yes, they're serviceable. They're also rebuildable.

There's a reason why a lot of us have swapped to vacuum booster / conventional brakes, no ABS, on these cars, though ... primarily because - well, let me show you via RockAuto's page:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1198672&parttype=1588

(Note: Before clicking on that link, make sure you're sitting down and that you have taken any heart medication you're on ... )

It's not that bad, though - you sometimes see these come up for sale used, and one of the most critical components that's failing due to age entirely, Victor over at Spinning Wheels ( http://spinningwheels-sc.com/brakes.aspx - yes, he has a much better price on the whole unit also!)

THAT said - if the pump runs, shuts off, and you can get at least five braking incidents in before it kicks on again, it's probably OK.

What you MAY want to do is to upgrade to 93+ front spindles, adapting the ABS sensors to fit the 92, and upgrade to the Mustang PBR front brakes. That's a great increase in braking feel and a decrease in stopping distance all by itself ...

RwP

KMT
12-01-2013, 08:14 PM
The pedal is not sinking or she would definitely be on jack stands! The pedal feels very firm, but I have no experience with these types of master cylinders

Seen this?

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html

Are these master cylinders still available/serviceable?

$650 from Victor is a good deal, I think.

http://spinningwheels-sc.com/brakes.aspx

I'm waiting for him to restock accumulators...best price I've seen for replacements and that's all my system needs at this time.

taterheadted
12-02-2013, 09:02 PM
RalphP and KMT,

Thanks so much for the data. I'll keep my eyes on it and read all the articles and try to determine which direction to go. At the moment I can find no leak after cleaning, although I suspect that I am on borrowed time. When it fails, I'll assess the choices you've suggested, do some more reading, and dive in to make the system both long-term repairable and improved over the current system.

Again, thanks,

Ted