Continuing ABS problem

Darth

My ABS does not work but my normal brakes work just fine, no hard pedal. My yellow antilock light is on but not my red brake light. I have checked every thing and all seems well except the controller. My code reader doesn't seem to work on the rear connector, but a local mechanic told me he got a code 11 which indicates the controller. A previous mechanic told me the 30A fuse under the hood for the controller was blown (he demolished it trying to get it out without unbolting it). Jumping the terminals didn't help, nor did it solve anything.

I purchased a new (used) controller from Ebay and installed it with a new 30A fuse and I still have the antilock light staring me in the face. After questioning the Ebay seller about the controller, he answered:

"THE CONTROLLER IS GOOD.I HAVE A 95 LINCOLN THAT IS DOING THE SAME THING AND IM TOLD THE DEALER IS THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN RE-SET IT. AND KNOCK OUT THE LIGHT .SOMETHING ABOUT THE FEDERAL LAWS OR SOME B.S.AUTO ZONE AND ADVANCE AUTO SAID THE SAME THING."

I have never heard any one on this forum say anything like this. Any comments?

The respondents are clueless and guessing which, IMO, is worse than just saying "I don't know" However, they are probably correct in that the controller is good.

Your accumulator is weak. It has enough capacity to provide power assist, but not enough to hold/cycle the ABS. Order a new one, never used, and the problem will go away. :)

Last edited:
Your accumulator is weak. It has enough capacity to provide power assist, but not enough to hold/cycle the ABS. Order a new one, never used, and the problem will go away. :)

Are you saying just the accumulator, or the pump and motor and...?
Is there a way of testing this? And where do you buy a "new one, never used"?

Are you saying just the accumulator, or the pump and motor and...?
Is there a way of testing this? And where do you buy a "new one, never used"?
Yup. The pump, motor, switch, relay, are all OK. If they weren't, you'd have no power brakes. You can order a new accumulator from Ford, or prior remanufacturing. Although someone said recently they were on back order. Prior sells them cheaper, but Ford would probably have it right away.

There is a way to test the accumulator, but its an involved procedure requiring some special connectors. I've been through this problem a number of times, so I'd say your chances of it not being the accumulator are about 1%.

Last edited:
Darth,

Check and see if the pump keeps running when you turn the car off. place your hand on the accumulator and see if it's running.

If the pump isn't running all the time and you have assist, that means that:
#1 - pump is working
#2 - Pump relay is working
#3 - high pressure switch is working
#4 - Accumulator is working

That leaves inputs and voltages. You really need to stop by a shop that can pull the codes. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.

Last edited:
I've seen this problem before with my SC.....

My yellow Anti-Lock light seems to come on and go off when ever it feels like it and I have replaced the computer with a known working one and it didn't solve my problem....:confused:

I don't think your problem is the accumulator.....

But it is 15 years old and it's just a safety maintenance thing to go ahead and replace it before things get really bad......

I would check the connections on all 4 of your ABS sensors.....

You can also check for continuity to verify the sensors are working correctly.....

Or you can ditch the ABS system all together and go with a conventional braking system.....:D

Darth,

Check and see if the pump keeps running when you turn the car off. place your hand on the accumulator and see if it's running.

#1 - pump is working

That leaves inputs and voltages. You really need to stop by a shop that can pull the codes. Otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.

OK. First thing in the morning before starting engine, after turning on ignition, pump runs about 15 seconds and turns off. Pressing on brake pedal, pump runs for about 2 seconds and turns off. Also, red brake light comes on for about 1 second (Before I changed the controller this didn't use to happen).

After running engine, and shutting off, pump does not go on unless brake pedal is depressed.

Before changing the controller, a mechanic told me he got a code 11 (replace controller), but that he couldn't diagnose any further without a breakout box which he didn't have.

Past history of the car.
For many years the yellow "antilock brake light" would occasionally come on. Some times for only a few minutes, and sometimes for a long time. This happen every once in a while and sometime for months would not. By skid testing, I verified that when the light was on, that I did not in fact have anti lock function. Finally, this year, the light came on and stayed on.

As stated at the beginning of this thread, my brakes work fine otherwise.

1. If it is intermittent, perhaps an electrical contact is behaving funny.:D
Maybe hitting all the brake circuit electrical plugs with contact cleaner
then coat/cover contact plugs with dielectric grease.

2. Attached are Brake self tests codes.

Buena suerte.

Attachments

• BrakeCodes.jpg
    BrakeCodes.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 274
  • BrakeTest2.jpg
    BrakeTest2.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 366
  • BrakeTest1.jpg
    BrakeTest1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 240
If your red brake lamp comes on when you initialy hit the brake normally, I would say put an accumulator on first.

If the red brake light and amber abs light can be triggered by you pressing the brake pedal once, then you have an accumulator that is bad.

If the amber ABS light stays on after the red brake light goes out, the ABS computer had identified a fault and will not operate. You will need to find a mechanic to pull the codes. I'm pretty sure any OBDI diagnostic tool can pull them.

If the red brake light and amber abs light can be triggered by you pressing the brake pedal once, then you have an accumulator that is bad.

If the amber ABS light stays on after the red brake light goes out, the ABS computer had identified a fault and will not operate. You will need to find a mechanic to pull the codes. I'm pretty sure any OBDI diagnostic tool can pull them.

1. As stated above, the amber abs light comes on as soon as ignition is turned on and stays on. The red brake light comes on for about 1 second and then goes out when the brake pedal is depressed.

2. I have a code reader which works on the main (under hood) connector, but gives no codes from the rear ABS connector. The only mechanic that was able to get a code from the rear, told me he got a code 11.

NOTE: This brings up the question of why I can't get any codes from the ABS connector (right rear trunk) with my reader. As stated, it works perfectly on front, but does nothing when attached to the rear. It is a SunPro (now Actron) model CP9015,

Last edited:

#1 - pump is working
Correct with the exception of item #4. Think of the accumulator as a hydraulic capacitor. Over time, it looses capacity. It can have enough capacity to provide assist, but not enough to cycle the ABS more than about 1 time. :cool:

If the amber light stays on constantly, then its worthwhile to pull codes. Also, like DIS's and certain sensors, it never hurts to have a spare ABS computer to test with.

Last edited:
I am not sure, but I do not think that a weak accumulator will set a code. Mine got really weak and I had to replace it. But it never set the ABS light on full-time. It would only flash (along with the red brake light) when I stepped on the brake pedal.

Has anybody successfully pulled a code from the ABS controller, and if so, what make and model code reader did you use?

Do they even make a code reader for the ABS system......:confused:

I am sure there are a few, collecting dust, in some Ford warehouse......:(

Back