Harmonic Balancer

anotherfordman

I have a '94 SC that I thought had a bad crank shaft sensor. When I started taking the sensor out I noticed the timing pointer was "peeled" back and the sensor had a notch wore into it. I may not have my terminology correct, but it seems like the harmonic balancer slide back into the sensor. I have a lot of questions. First off, what happeded? What is the correct terminology for this part assembly? Are parts available? What can be done with timing pointer replacement? Cost of parts? Things to consider while repairing? Can someone give me a step-by-step on how to repair?? Many Thanks!!

on my '94 sc the outer ring of the hb seperated from the inner ring a little causing it to start hitting the near the crank sensor, replaced the hb with a bhj hb.

If you guys wouldn't mind me asking, what kind of problems did you get?

Hard starting, car stalling, car idling weird, etc etc.

In my case, the car started / idled fine, it was like turning the key off and on (stalling) while accelerating. Does the water pump have to come off??

Last edited:
If you guys wouldn't mind me asking, what kind of problems did you get?

Hard starting, car stalling, car idling weird, etc etc.

i didn't have any problems but I had a ticking sound from where the outer ring of the balancer had slid towards the motor and started hitting the timing chain casting that sticks out by the crank sensor, basiclly i caught it before it did do some damage.

In my case, the car started / idled fine, it was like turning the key off and on (stalling) while accelerating. Does the water pump have to come off??

Like I said, I'm sorry to hijack, but as far as stalling goes...

Was it like the car loses spark to all cylinders at once, and then suddenly gets it back? Also, it's kind of like a bucking stall.

Like I said, I'm sorry to hijack, but as far as stalling goes...

Was it like the car loses spark to all cylinders at once, and then suddenly gets it back? Also, it's kind of like a bucking stall.

Lose the stock HB and get a new crankshaft sensor.

Back