4.6 vs SC

T-bird Tim

I'm thinking of doing something different with the next t-bird I buy. I think I want to try a 4.6 bird , have the heads and cam from a cobra plus install a supercharger. Of course all the supporting mods would be done to go along with it. I think the quest for 350 WHP would be a lot less expensive by starting with a v-8. Trying to find out what everyone here thinks would be the best route to go. I have owned seven SCs and do love them but it seems so pricey to get one to high horsepower numbers, plus the v-8s dont have the headgasket problems of the SCs. I know I can get a very clean late model v-8 for cheaper than a nice SC. Any input greatly appreciate. Would love to hear from someone who has done this or knows someone who has.

I always thought it would be cool to have a v8 thunderbird with some good exhaust and turn downs, sou it would sound like a mustang. I am sure that the 4.6 is a better base to build off of, but personally, I would rather have the 3.8, it takes more work to build a 3.8 motor to 350hp, but it has more of an aww factor when you pop the hood and there is a 3.8 there.

That has actually been debated at TCCOA, and the consensus is that the 4.6 does not have the bottom end strength to tolerate boost.
By the time you end up building the bottom end for 350, you have about the same expense as top end on the 3.8, so it ends up being a wash.

Nick

I'm thinking of doing something different with the next t-bird I buy. I think I want to try a 4.6 bird , have the heads and cam from a cobra plus install a supercharger. Of course all the supporting mods would be done to go along with it. I think the quest for 350 WHP would be a lot less expensive by starting with a v-8. Trying to find out what everyone here thinks would be the best route to go. I have owned seven SCs and do love them but it seems so pricey to get one to high horsepower numbers, plus the v-8s dont have the headgasket problems of the SCs. I know I can get a very clean late model v-8 for cheaper than a nice SC. Any input greatly appreciate. Would love to hear from someone who has done this or knows someone who has.

If you like your sc than do this :D:D:D

but with catless downpipes your car wont sound like a lawnmower...
Yop,that's right.Here is how 4.6 sounds with some free modifacation to exhaust Video. gutted cats and no mufflers on stock exhaust pipes.

I like the SC's, but IMHO - nothing can match a nice set of V8 pipes :D For my exhaust, I'm running true dual 2.5" w/high flow cats and Magnaflow midmount - I really like the sound. It could probably be a bit louder if I actually had tips in the rear. All I have is just pipe brought back, cut off, and turned down to look like stock.

-Melon

yeah i now have a 94

4.6...engine sounds nice..right now its stock exhaust. might get some borlas...keep it low and deep...its my DL. the sc i owned was loud, but not deep at all..like hornets chasing me...oh, and sorry for the thread jack.

IMHO i like my sc better, for torque...and the sound of he sc.
i also can appreciate the quickness of my 4.6 and it looks nicer, and the engine sounds sweet.

back to the thread topic.....i do think with a pi heads, and decent gears, and exhasut youll be happy with your 4.6 but if your going to sc it, might as well get a cobra engine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2733945 (4.6)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU6rebCUb14 (sc)

Yeah you can put Cobra heads ( C heads are great for N/A, B heads flow well if you SC it ) and all the other stuff you would need on the 4.6 Block, timing cover, intake manifold, etc etc etc .. then Supercharge it, might be alot less expensive to get a Mark 8 DOHC like Burbank has in his. If I were going to do 32v I would go with the Cobra engine, not the Mark.
I considered doing the PI head swap, but the strength of the lower end like mentioned above, wont hold up with a supercharger later.
I have a PI Explorer Aluminum block engine, which I was thinking abotu supercharging .. but I might end up selling the engine, and going with the Cobra like I wanted to do originally ( except for the cost is at least twice what the PI explorer costs )

Stock 4.6 = 205 HP
PI Aluminum 4.6 = 260 HP
PI Heads on NPI Block = @270+
Mark = 280 HP
Cobra = 315 HP

AED Supercharger = 100 more HP

So .. engine power is one thing, I dont know what is significant about getting 350 HP, its not hard to do with a 4.6, or 3.8 SC depending on your wallet size. If youre just looking for bragging rights, .. whatever. Doesnt mean anything. If you want to run a certain speed in the 1/4 Mile, you dont need all horsepower, you can set up your car with gears, torque converter, etc .. and make it much faster.

- Dan

Neither route is cheap, really. I chose the "B" head 32V 4.6L route, with a Kenne Bell 2.1L on top.

engine.jpg

The new 5.0L stroker engine is going together right now, and will be in the car in time for the Shootout.

quittingpoint.jpg

350 rwhp isn't difficult at all with a SC'd 4V 4.6L.

-Rod

Back