Blower "whine"

A

AATVFury

Blower "whine"

Hey..i love the sound my blower makes..the sweet whine of it...but i would like to know how to "improve"or make it a little bit more ovious that i have a blower under the hood BTW its a 91 SC with Cold Air type Intake with No Air Box

Re: Blower "whine"

If you already have the cold air intake with a cone filter and the silencer removed than the only thing left is cap the bypass hose and put a 10% overdrive pulley.
Stas.

Ported blowers whine even louder.

David

Eaton spent a lot of money on R&D to reduce the noise. That's probably why porting can be so effective on our units as Eaton may have added metal to block some sounds.

...and in a related story:

I just brought up a point on the tech board during a post about the raised top I built. I believe the vanes in the roof of the top have a lot to do with suppressing sound levels. Ya know, it ain't like Ford thought airflow direction was/is needed on a setup that had/has such a bottleneck because of the small exit to the upper IC tube.

hey, food for thought...

'bird

pub18.ezboard.com/fsccoageneralforum.showMessage?topicID=16076.topic

Actually,,,,,please correct me if I am mistaken.
I was under the impression that the vains in the top were to direct airflow and eliminate turbulances???

I THOUGHT that the vains(slits) "in the blower", on each side of the outlet were designed to reduce blower whine???

SKIP

Yes, but you might still be surprised how loud one is even with the slots. As mentioned in the thread I posted a link to, I've run my car without the top on the blower.
In the compact space of a stock top, I just don't see a big impact made by the vanes as far as directing or patterning flow. If anything, they might actually cause turbulence. Just my opinion :)

'bird

Mine's quite loud with a custom intake.

It's all the tubing that quiets ours down. The intercooler etc.

A friend of mine has the GM 3.8 in his Cavalier and it's whine is amazing. No intercooler piping makes a huge difference.

The Whine we hear is actually the intake of the blower and not the outlet. If the tube from the Maf to TB is made from a ridged pipe instead of a rubber tube the whine is increased, like in the ZR or Mac intake.The tubes and IC make little difference in the sound, but if the IC and tubes were made from a smaller guage tubing I could image some of the sound would "get out" and make the overall sound louder. I have run the engine with the upper IC tube disconnected from the IC and it is super loud. The vanes in the top are for directing the airflow outof the top. The ESM top has a deep single difuser and the MP top has 3 vanes that are deeper than the stock top, by the same(or almost) amount that the top is raised. I don't think that a modifed top would be hurt by not extending the vanes, and I am pretty sure the opening plays a more important roll.

Jeff

mine whines like a jet engine , I ported it and filled in half the noise reduction ports the two opennings next to out let port

this is extremely ghetto, but what i did for the really loud blower whine was take out the bottom of the air box and tape the k&n panel filter to the top stock air box. it kinda echoed in the air box and i turned many a head...expecially people who were supercharged and many grand nationals.

fooom fooom, fooom

I haven't noticed any whine at all on my car (stock 89auto), mostly just rotating and various other noises. Other noises possibly might be a rusted out resonator or cats because the car is relatively loud, at least I think it is. It does however have that damm fooooommm sound to it at boost (like in the old days when the secondaries on a quadrajet opened) and I'm not too crazy about that at all. Only mod is a K&N 7" cone and a homemade raised-top. Maybe if I go to the gum machine at the Dollar General and get me a whistle or sumthin'... :)

'bird

Want your blower to SCREAM? Mine does! :evil:

You want a screamer?

Make up a supercharger top that doesn't quite fit under the hood. Then the whole hood will resonate the sound, like 10 times as loud as normal...so I've heard.

A torque strap would be a good idea in this case too.

They say the guy with this car wears a bag over his head driving around town.;)

Back