3.73 gear in 5-speed SC

I guess it kinda depends on what you want to use your car for. Personally I have had 2.73 (stock gears) ....3.08's and 3.27 and I actually preferred the 3.08's for all around use. A tad quicker than stock gears yet first gear is still useable around town. With 3.27 gears you will have to shift before crossing a large intersection unless you are prepared to go above 3K on a regular basis. The downfall to 3.08's is in the quarter mile you are shifting to 4th shortly before the traps affecting your trap speed in the quarter as you will not be in the peak power band through the traps.

The first gear ratio is not as steep in the 94 - 95 manual trans., so the change to a different axle ratio won't make first gear as unusable as it does on the earlier cars. I like the 3.27s in my 95 for all-around use.

cheers
Ed N.

That's true. I'm thinking about going up to 3.55 with mine, since I have a bit less low end torque now with the MPIII blower on the car. For a stock engine car, IMO the 3.27 is probably best on a 94 - 95 ... but if you're drag racing a lot, it's not the right choice.

cheers
Ed N.

hey all, I have a 93sc that was an auto which i think came with 3.27 stock??well I did a 5spd swap and kept my stock rear gears instead of gettin the 2.73 5spd gears.. and took the speedo sensor from the auto and put in the 5spd..well nothin to compare it to but if a 93 auto comes with 3.27's then with a 5spd they are all around perfect for the street. I wouldnt want anything higher tho, maybe down to a 3.08??? As said its all preference, In a 94-95 I would prolly go with a 3.55...

You don't want 3.55 gear on the street .I had them before and 1-st gear was completely useless even on 255 drag radials.When I was running 3.55 gears on 255 drag radials my car was quicker lunching from second gear on the street .I've got 3.08 now and they work great on the street and at the track.

some people on here will say your fine with the stock gears and 3.27s are too much but from my experience 3.27s are A LOT better

I recently installed 3.55 in my 94 5 speed and they are a good gear for the 94 . my car is basically stock at present and it picked up more than 1/2 a second in the quarter mile from times in the spring and over a second over times from a few week earlier and I ran it through 3rd at about 5500 rpm I tried 4th and had similiar times so the extra shift did not cost me anything. I find first is not too short but with the newer tranny that likely helps. The biggest difference is on the highway at 80mph it revs at 2500rpm versus1750 with the 2.73 stock gears. I have a ton of parts going on the car in the next few weeks for the shoot out and the cam was selected based on the gears and roller rockers. The nice thing is the car pulls strong is all the gears including 5th. With some ported heads, cam, mpx etc I think first is going to seem shorter. but with drag tires the car really shoots out of the hole.

I would think 3.73 would be a bit steep. I have a set that I may try for fun some time but if I was buying new I would stick with the 3.55s

Last edited:
I've got the early 5 speed trans and a 3.55 rear gear. My 27" diameter tires probably help but I don't mind it a bit.

Back