engine swap question

jmr420

hi there. i have a 93 cougar 3.8 and currently it has a cracked block. the body is in good condition as well as the interior, just the engine is shot. so how much of a task would it be to drop a 3.8SC engine in there?

so really, here is my question. if i take a 93 T-Bird SC engine, can i basically just drop it in without much trouble (i.e. wiring harness etc.):confused:

It's been done ...

Both an SC engine and a 4.2 NA. You keep the distributor, instead of the distributorless ignition system. I have done the tuneups on both of them, too. You will need an EEC tuner, for sure.

My suggestion: Forget the engine swap, more trouble than it's worth, from what I heard on this boards. Just find an SC and buy it! Plenty in the classified forum!

Cheers,
Calvin

Parts needed for an SC swap....

If you found an SC engine in good shape, you'd need the wiring harness and the computer. But I think I'm forgetting something. You'd need to upgrade the fuel pump in your tank that's for sure.

The engine that you get better be a "full dress" in other words it better have injectors, all the sensors. You'd need a different radiator and make sure your got the intercooler.

For the effort though it might be cheaper to buy a decent SC. On the other hand, if your 93' cougar has sentimental value and you want something unique, you should consider getting a good block from the junkyard and doing a massive build up on it. You'd spend a couple of grand, but you'd have a V-6 with comparable output to the SC engine and you wouldn't have the wiring nightmare.

I'm just getting my SC back together after being down for almost two years and over $6,000. If I had it to do all over again, for the same money I could have built one heck of a Windsor 351.
SonySC@hotmail.com

This is a response I replied to someone else with:

"It is doable, but it is a lot of work. This isn't just some swap where you pull the car into the garage on Friday after work and roll it out late Sunday night with a new engine. There are a lot of different little parts that you would never consider. On top of the obvious things like: rearend, transmission, springs, radiator, rad fan, intercooler, fuel pump, complete SC engine long block. Other things different are the throttle cables (not sure about the trans TV cable), the A/C system might as well be off a completely different vehicle as I don't think any of the parts will be useful from the n/a to the SC. Alternator is different as well. Driver's side motor mount is slightly different as well. This does not even get into the wiring harness or computer. Basically a whole ton of stuff. For best results, I would suggest getting a wrecked SC and swap parts directly from that vehicle onto yours. Otherwise you will be endlessly searching for hard/difficult to find parts to complete the swap. Not saying it can't be done, but you had better do your homework before you start."

Beter idea

Anything can be done,I have stuffed a couple of different engines into this size body. I even have almost if not all the parts you would need to do the swap that you are talking about. But for my money I would swap in something that is not as hard to keep running. A 351 W is a good place to start,and for those really fun times a built 460 with a C6 behind it will really make the "rice" boys sit up and take notice that there is a new sheiff in town... Do some thinking and if you want to spend the dime,give me a ring at 414-425-4710 and I will tell you what all will fit and some shortcuts along the way....Rich P.S. read my sig at the end,it says it all.....

swap from wreacked 90 SC to 89 NA

This is not as much of a reply but more of a question relating to this topic.

i have a wrecked 90 SC. it was in a roll over and the engin and all drive train are in good shape still, but the body panals are all screwed. anyways, i also have an 89 3.8NA and would like to an engine swap. i have mechanical experience, but have no idea where to start and what to do. if any one could provide me with some kind of a step by step walk through on how to take the engine out of the wrecked car and put it into my other car.

Email me or call me if you have any kind of insturctions

Thanks alot

Jamie Cote
Edam, Sk, CAN
1-306-397-5002
JP_002@hotmail.com

Crazy as it is.....

I am getting ready to do this. I am taking a 1995 4.6L car and making it into a SC using a wrecked '94 SC parts car. The basic plan is;

Strip the 4.6L car of all running gear, powertrain, accessories, harnesses, everything down to the bare body. No need to keep any of it if you have a whole wrecked SC donor car. Then you can sell off all of the LX parts.

Remove the powertrain from the SC and set it aside.

Swap over all the harnesses, accessories and plumbing, ARC shocks etc.... from the SC directly onto the 4.6L so you know exactly where and how they go on.

Once that is done the car will basically look like the SC the powertrain came out of. Dropping the SC drivetrain back in will be straightforward.

Back