Fuel inj. R&R. Do I have to...

tbirdboy

Do I have to pull the blower to pull the injectors? Or is there a workaround? Will the fuel rail give enough for me to pop them out one by one?

Yes, you have to pull the blower.

It no big deal, just remove the belt, throttle linkage, intake tube, top w/upper IC tube attached, loosen clamp on bypass hose, unplug IAC and TPS, remove the 3 retaining bolts and a few vacuum hoses. Only takes 10-15 min. Reseal the top and IC tube with Permatex orange RTV.

David

PS: Getting that bolt out of the fuel rail near the firewall will be much tougher.

Last edited:
15 minutes to remove the blower? Cool. I've had this nagging injector problem for a while. I truly believe a injector(s) are severely clogged. That would be #4 and #5. I thought It would be the pump but my senario points to bad injectors or a cracked head/head gasket. That would explain my persistant pinging when at normal op. temp. at all rpm above say 1lb of boost or even in vaccuum on a steady incline in 5th. Thanks bud!

Vincent in LA. 89/5spd/167k. Catcos, no res, FM Deltas

One little gotcha on 89 5 speeds that the previous poster did not have to deal with on hs 91 AOD. The dreaded EGR valve which happens to be bolted to the back of the supercharger inlet plenum in a most awkward place. Remove your wipers and cowl first that wll give you a little more room. Also there is the EGR sensor(little grey box beside the EGR valve that has to be disconnected. It has a fragile very expensive silicon hose attached to it as well as the electrical connector.

Take care with that EGR valve, do not force the tube it costs a small fortune, breaks easy and is a complete whore to replace. You'll need a new EGR gasket when you put it back or use copper RTV if you have to.

Thanks for the tip. Did the EGR valve earlier this year. Wasn't that bad a job. I have motor mounts and a heater core waiting for me after this job. I think I'd rather do 90 days in jail! Later

Back