Drag wheels with Cobra brakes

THE BIRDMAN

Question for everyone who is running Cobra brakes front and rear with the mustang hub swap .What rims is everyone running?Can you run a 15X3 on the front?Does it require spacers to clear the calipers to do so?Does a 15 rear wheel clear the calipers or do I have to run a 16 to clear the rear cobra brakes with stock SC calipers?Also if anyone one has pics with big and littles on there car could you post a couple up.Also what kind of backspacing is everyone using on the rear wheels I'd like to possibly run a 28X9 slick.And was thinking of a 8 inch wide rim.Thanks in advance.

Jay

Last edited:
Yes I have the 13" front rotors with cobra calipers and the 11.65" rear rotors with the stock sc rear calipers.I thought I read on here somewhere that you could use a 15X3 with zero backspacing and a small spacer on the front.Can't find where I read it though.If not what rims are everyone running at the track with cobra brakes cause my 17" speedstars are a good deal heavier than my stock wheels.So I'm looking for a light wheel combo front and rear for my car for track days.

Jay

Most people I know removed their cobra setup to use drag wheels.

Again though youll get more informatiomn on a stang site then on here

My body has 15 '' prostars on the rear of his cobra.He's getting front skinnies soon but I don't know what size.

My body has 15 '' prostars on the rear of his cobra.He's getting front skinnies soon but I don't know what size.

Do you know if he had to do anything special to get them to clear the brakes?

Also for anyone who wants to know you can run the 15X3 fronts all you have to do is either run 1inch or 25mm spacers and trim the unthreaded portion off the front studs or you can run a 1 3/8 or 35mm spacer and not have to trim the studs at all.Keep in mind both sizes would be bolt on style spacers/adapters unless you swap out you stock studs for 3inch long ones.(Been cruising the cobra forums today)

Now I just have to figure out what'll fit over the rear brakes.

Jay

Our IRS is slightly different..That may make a difference as well

Yeah that's why I've been trying to find out what guys on here are using wiht the rear cobra brakes.Cause on the cobra forums they are saying 15's will clear in the rear but as you stated we have differences in our rear suspension.So what are you cobra barke equiped guys running in the rear for drag rims?

Jay

Yeah that's why I've been trying to find out what guys on here are using wiht the rear cobra brakes.Cause on the cobra forums they are saying 15's will clear in the rear but as you stated we have differences in our rear suspension.So what are you cobra barke equiped guys running in the rear for drag rims?

Jay

I use 15X7 wheels from a 99 V6 Mustang over my Cobra rear rotors, relocated SC calipers, and 26X10 MT slicks without any clearance issues.

Charles

What offset do they have?? How close to fender lip or anything IRS?

Damon I don't know what the offset they have, it is whatever the stock V6 Mustang wheels are but I can tell you that it isn't close to rubbing on the fender or suspension and my car is lowered with H&R springs. In addition to fitting without issue they are actually fairly light, at least compared to my 18 inch wheel and tire combo.

Charles

Damon I don't know what the offset they have, it is whatever the stock V6 Mustang wheels are but I can tell you that it isn't close to rubbing on the fender or suspension and my car is lowered with H&R springs. In addition to fitting without issue they are actually fairly light, at least compared to my 18 inch wheel and tire combo.

Charles

Thanks alot that is exactly what I was looking for.I thought a 15 would clear a 11.65 rotor .Now I know it will I can measure the backspacing I need just was curious if it would clear the brake assembly or not.can you post a pick of the rims on you're car (the drag rims) so I know what to look for.

Jay

I use 15X7 wheels from a 99 V6 Mustang over my Cobra rear rotors, relocated SC calipers, and 26X10 MT slicks without any clearance issues.

Charles
15x7?
Are these the three split spoke, wheels or other?

I see that the GT late 94-98 pony 5 spoke wheels work also. They are 16x7.5 so you can run 255/50/16 tires on them.

15x7?
Are these the three split spoke, wheels or other?

I see that the GT late 94-98 pony 5 spoke wheels work also. They are 16x7.5 so you can run 255/50/16 tires on them.

These are the 15x7's that I run on my car, I don't have any decent pictures of them on my SC but here they are on my friends Mustang.

Attachments

• stangwheels.jpg
    stangwheels.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 82
1 inch spacer on front. And I'm 90% positive that you won't get a 15 on the rear (with oversized rotors) without major spacing out. Remember, cobra's have teeny tiny calipers in back.

There is nothing fancy about a bogart...it just has the 1 inch spacer welded into it, forcing you to run 3 inch studs all the time in front. At least with a weld, you can mount the long studs in your spacer. I never understand why people toss out bogart as the fix.

Back