Headin' to the strip (First Time)

C

clickster34

Headin' to the strip (First Time)

Anyone have any tips for my first time at the strip? Tire pressure for stock tires, launching tips, other stuff I can do? Also I've seen pictures where people have removed their hub caps when racing, whats that all about? My car is pretty much stock, K&N panel, removed air silencer, no cats. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.

1990 Auto, 193,000mi.

Re: Headin' to the strip (First Time)

You will have to remove the center caps, drag strip regulations, just in case they fly off. As for the tips, well our car make all their power down low. So a good launch is important, don't just hammer the gas. I drive a stick so I am not sure how they launch with autos, I imagine a little brake, bring the RMP up to 2000 or so and when the light goes green, lift your foot off the brake and roll into the throttle. Another thing, street tires do not benifit from a burnout. If you can drive around the water box do it, if not a short quick burnout to dry the tires and spin whatever rocks may be in the tread is all that is needed.

turn off all your accessories! A/C, radio, firm ride off, traction control off, etc....hold the brake and rev the engine up to about 1500-2000 rpm and go on the last yellow light. Make sure you give your engine plenty of cool off times inbetween runs....Ice on the SC top and intercooler will do wonders.

good luck! let us know how it goes

disconnecting the little plugs from the top of the shock tower will help distributing weight, and also if you want to crawl around in your trunk get all the way into the back and pull back the carpeting on the sides and there will be connectors on both sides, that should help some on traction and get a slightly better launch and 60ft time. Ice is the best thing you can do, keep it as cold as possible and if you have people to help you then push through the lines and only start the engine when you need to. the temp gauge should be as far down as it can go when you pull up to the line and you will get a great run. I also have 5-speed so cant help you much on the autos. (also turn your heater on, point the side vents out the windows and that will cool off the coolant a little) good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Back