Plug gap reccomendation

V6Sprout

So with the V6 Ford Challenge coming up in a week I thought I would put in some new plugs. I am currently running the stock gap of 0.054 with 15% OD, I know most Mustang V6's run a lower temp range and a 0.035 gap with a Vortech or Procharger but the stock gap of 0.054 on stock heat range plugs works good with my setup, but I was wondering if I should go a little lower anyways like say a 0.045 gap since I an running 15% OD on a stock blower. Any suggestions? Would it hurt or help ya think? Would it be good insurance just in case? As long as its not gonna hurt performance.

Also if it helps, my motors is a 97 Mustang bottom end so the compression is a little higher at 9.0:1

gap range's - have been anywhere from 035 up to 056
stock calls for 052 - 056

i run mine at 045 ,but my car ,a 90/5spd. ,is pure stock for the most part-only have mild ported heads -exh / int ,and took the ring out from the bottom of the exhaust manifolds
cad purrs like a kitten ,runs out well ,about 12psi boost -at least thats what the stock gauge reads
steve

Last edited:
Do a search on spark plugs there was a very good thread not too long ago including brands and gaps for specific applications. It was very informative and had contributions from the high performance gurus in the SCCOA.

try out a set of 103 at 035

steve

heres's kinda a short list i have taken notes on

SPARK PLUGS
Autolite APP-764's shorty
AUTOLITE
APP 2544 DBL PLAT
XP 5144 IRIDIUM
autolite XP 103-colder
autolite XP 104-cold

605 1 heat range colder
104 2 heat range colder
103 3 heat range colder

the above 1/4" , less-protrusion into cyl.
Motorcraft
AWSF-34PP
AWSF-32PP-colder

Gap the new spark plugs between .052 - .056 ( Stock Gap )
or what you decide

steve

Last edited:
So with the V6 Ford Challenge coming up in a week I thought I would put in some new plugs. I am currently running the stock gap of 0.054 with 15% OD, I know most Mustang V6's run a lower temp range and a 0.035 gap with a Vortech or Procharger but the stock gap of 0.054 on stock heat range plugs works good with my setup, but I was wondering if I should go a little lower anyways like say a 0.045 gap since I an running 15% OD on a stock blower. Any suggestions? Would it hurt or help ya think? Would it be good insurance just in case? As long as its not gonna hurt performance.

Also if it helps, my motors is a 97 Mustang bottom end so the compression is a little higher at 9.0:1

I've been gapping my plugs (all brands and types) to .040 since 2001. So far so good. BTW, I'm currently using Denso IT20s

David

thanks Dave. I am thinking I am gonna try 0.040-0.045, they are stock replacement copper plugs, we'll see how it goes.

Back