Codes 558 and 332, high idle, running hot

rickbtbird

I'm finally getting my 95 back together. Today I spend all day put the finishing touches on the engine. Before starting it I put the code reader on it and it comes back with a 558 (Exhaust gas recirculation valve vacuum regulator circuit failure during KOEO self-test). Crap so I guess tomorrow I'll be trying to isolate the EVR solenoid for bad resistance.

So I took it for a quick drive around the block. I didn't get 2 minutes up the street and the CEL came on and my idle starting hanging around 1.8k. If I let it sit for 15 seconds it would idle down. It seems to be running a bit hot too. It got up to the M in Normal. It's been almost a year while since it ran so I'm wondering it the thermostat is corroded.

I slapped the code reader on again and it came back with a 558 and a 332. The 332 indicates the Pressure Feedback EGR (PFE) / Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) did not change when the PCM output a duty cycle to the EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR) solenoid requesting EGR flow. Yea I know how to copy and past!

Because I got the 558 before I even started the engine, I'm going to go after the EVR as I would say that it caused the 332 after the engine ran.

I’m a bit stumped about the high idle though, could that be cause by a defective EVR?

I found the problem. The EGR Vacuum Regulator was disconnected from the PCM. It's located on the drivers side near the firewall. You have to remove the cowl cover and reach behind the fuel pressure regulator. There's a two wire connector that attaches to it. Mine had the wires pulled out of the connector. When I reached down there, the plastic connector cover fell on the ground, like it was just resting on top of the motor. I had to connect the plastic connector first and then insert the wires into it. What a cheesy connector. Once I got it on, I did another KOEO test and it came up all 1's.

Last edited:
Back