Any one with an answer

Pit Bird

I posted the other day about a knock and got no reply(thanks guys). I have a knock comming from along my serpantine belt. It is not the idler pulleys either. I pulled the belt of and pulled on all the pullys. My power steering pump pulley moves back and fourth between 1/8 and 3/16ths of an inch. It when played with produces I think the same knocking I have been hearing. Does this sound about right or is it suppsed to have play in that pulley. If it is bad is it a bearing or did it work it self loose a little??????
Any one with answer help

I posted the other day about a knock and got no reply(thanks guys).

I don't have an answer for you, but if you want people to answer your question, then I wouldn't blast us/them for not answering your question!!! Food for thought!

Cheers,
Calvin

I would hardley call that a blasting. This forum is to help people who have knowlege in certain areas others may not. Not to CRY about blasting. So excuse me for not knowing the inner workings of my power steering pump.

tsk tsk tsk 3 posts to your name and already making with the attitude and telling veterans what this forumn is about....

If your pulley moves you have a problem there is supposed to be no play, so either the pump is loose in the mount(unlikely) or the shaft bearing is waving bye bye to you.

Last edited:
Pit Bird, my .02 .... it might be that your power steering pump bearing may be going bad. It isn't very common but it does happen. the pulley is pressed onto the shaft so it won't get loose. The Supercoupe power steering pumps are noisy at best and I have my doubts as to their overall longevity. You might also want to look at the crankshaft dampner as it has been known to loosen or break. That's the story on them from many at least.

Just some thoughts. Good luck and have a good week.

Sorry Les I use to post on the old board allot. When I said (thanks guys) it was a joke to me. I guess all did not find it such. I thank you for you info and reply post (joke).The part is not that much money but it is looks like a real pain in the rear to get at so I just needed to make sure with others before ripping into it

Back