Slicks & Heat Cycles

Dahoopd

Maybe you die hard racers can answer this. How much wear does a heat cyle (track session) take from a slick. The reason I ask is someone wants to sell me a set of Hoosier A3S05 slicks with 3 heat cycles (track sessions) on them for $50. Just wondering if its worth it.

I dont race much but thought it would be nice to pick them up in case I ever want to try my car at the track.

3 heat cycles isn't a bunch for those tires. Keep in mind that the AS series Hoosiers are for autocross use. If you tried them for an open-track event on your heavy car, they would likely overheat pretty quickly.

cheers
Ed N.

Ed,

Thanks for the feedback. I assume by open-track you mean strip use? If thats the case I will pass. I just figured they might be good for a few runs. Thanks again for helping me out.

If you want them for the dragstrip, don't bother. Those tires have very stiff sidewalls for hard cornering. About 5 years ago I tried an older version of those tires at the strip (I had some for doing open-track events), and they were slower than my street tires. Even down to 10 psi, the sidewall was so stiff they still looked to be fully inflated. 60 foot times were awful. Compound is nice and soft, but the sidewall is way too stiff for standing starts.

cheers
Ed N.

Back