Need a front timing cover HELP!

Airtractr

I'm in the middle in the R/R of my engine and ruined the front timing cover yesterday. Anyone know is one from a NA 3.8 will work or is the SC front cover specific? I need one ASAP. :eek:

Suggest buying a new late model timing cover from Ford, because the early model covers are no longer being made. The late model cover has provisions for mounting both the early and late model crank sensors.

The oil pump gears ride on a portion of the timing cover, if worn you won't get good oil pressure. Don't know if the NA 3.8 uses the same cover.

David

PS: What year is your SC ?

Thanks for the info, my car is a 93 and I am getting a cover from Big E
By later model do you mean 95 or something newer than that? I like the idea of a new from Ford piece but I've got one on the way from Big E so I'll probably use that one.

Thanks for the info, my car is a 93 and I am getting a cover from Big E
By later model do you mean 95 or something newer than that? I like the idea of a new from Ford piece but I've got one on the way from Big E so I'll probably use that one.

Yes later model is 94/95...they use a differnt crank sensor, trigger wheel and oil pump. Not sure about the production timing covers, but the Ford replacement covers have provisions for mounting either style of crank sensor. Late model oil pump works with either cover.

David

PS: I bet you broke your old cover from not removing that damn hidden oil pump bolt :)

Would you have a pic to show me where that damn bolt is!?:confused:

I'm removing my cover today or tomorrow and I don't want to break it...!

Thanks!

Sami

I don't have a picture, but the "hidden" bolt is an allen head bolt that is usually covered in silicone that was used to make the oil pan seal. It is located at the bottom edge of the timing cover, just above the oil pan and I think I remember it being on the driver's side.

The bolt is on the Driver's side just above the oil pan. Make sure you use the right size when removing the bolt too. The last thing you want to do is end up drilling the bolt out because you didn't use the right size allen head wrench. :eek:
I know it sounds stupid, but I've seen it happen as I have a 90 SC sitting in my driveway right now that needs this bolt drilled out due to someone not using the right size wrench. Anything to make my job just that much harder, right? :rolleyes:

Here is what it looks like. It is usually covered in oil and since it's a alan head and round it doesn't look like a bolt when you are looking around. It's also behind the oil pump which can be hard to see with the oil pump on there.

If you are a member you can view this thread where I had issues with my timing cover and folks helped with the perfect way to remove it:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60765&highlight=timing+cover

alanbolt.jpg

Thanks for the help...I got it out...BUT the timing cover won't...!

Stupid question:

Do I have to remove the oil pan to get the timing cover off?

Sami

Yup! That would be the culprit that broke it for me. And by then I was just using a prybar. Same damn allen I missed. Doh!:rolleyes:

Look at the thread I linked to. it shows using the puller for the harmonic balancer to push against the back of the cover to give it some leverage.

The oil pan is stuck to the timing cover with RTV, so it will fight you. Thus using the puller to push against the cover worked very well for me as it would apply a constant effort.

Without the pictures it is hard to describe, but what you do is have the ear of the puller behind an ear on the timing cover exposed in one of the shapes of the front of the block. Then use the center bolt to push against the block.

Look at the thread I linked to. it shows using the puller for the harmonic balancer to push against the back of the cover to give it some leverage.

The oil pan is stuck to the timing cover with RTV, so it will fight you. Thus using the puller to push against the cover worked very well for me as it would apply a constant effort.

Without the pictures it is hard to describe, but what you do is have the ear of the puller behind an ear on the timing cover exposed in one of the shapes of the front of the block. Then use the center bolt to push against the block.

Ok, I will do that because the cover seems to be so stuck that it won't release with the prybar.

Thanks again Mike!;)

Back